Audition: "Takedown"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Audition: "Takedown" Reply with quote

The upper-ranks didn't look happy to see me. They were going to be even less happy after I was done. I hadn't bothered to shower and I was still sporting my taliban-tali-me-banana style beard, strike one with the TRES folks.

"Well, by now we are all aware of the re-emergence of this guy", I pointed at the image floating in full resolution hologram behind me, Lord Tilden Owsen, sword in hand and gun blazing. "He's already wasted one high ranking ex-Jihadhi, so obviously he didn't come back just to say hi." No one laughed.

I didn't blame them, the situation wasn't funny. I hadn't known J personally, but it's never good when someone who should have never found him in the first place paid a social call and left him in a few more pieces than when they started.

At the very least, our mystery guest either had access to magical power far greater than most of the JPV's mages had or we were dealing with a highly placed traitor. Neither were good scenarios and both would have to be checked out.

I decided to get to the point. "Folks, I'm going after Lord Owsen with my team, we will find him and incapacitate him before anyone else, mundane or otherwise dies." There was definite disbelief and an under-current of anger. "I'm going to need help and preferably direct assistance from the Maenad's if we're going to pull this off."

Again, I got the distinct sense I'd crossed a few too many lines. The fact was though that as long as someone with Owsen's powers was loose in the every-day world anyone who got in his way was going to get hurt. I've never liked the Jihad's classification of everyone not involved as "mundane." These were people just like us and if I had my way we'd have told them the truth.

I'd probably gotten away with as much insubordination as possible for one day. A Captain with Chi squadron insignia on his shoulder left his seat. "You insolent prick!" "Do you have any idea who you are dealing with! This is Tilden Owsen you're after, and you think your little guerrilla band can even touch him?"

I mentally counted to ten. "Captain, we can sit here and stroke our mules and hope the triumvirs and their big, furry buddies can take care of this little problem or we can go out and do it to them before they do it to us!" One thing I was definitely tired of was the rigid stratification between the highest levels of the Jihad and the folks at the sharp end.

At the end of the day, it almost begged the question, "Are we fighting the same war, or what?" MAUL has always had a reputation for stubborn independence, but we've never forgotten who and what we're fighting for. It looked like I was about to help write the next chapter of that story or be carried home on top of it.
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... This would be a JU3 piece, considering it involves Owsen gone wacky and killing folks, yes?

As a vignette, it's pretty well-written; I do get a good sense of the friction between the stratosphere and the lower ranks. But it could stand some notes on how this fits into the scheme of things in the JU3 setting.

Remember, at the point Owsen returns the Jihad itself has been dismantled entirely, and there are only a few unofficial connections between ex-Jihaddi. So how does this gang get togther, how did they manage to not kill each other long enough to do a briefing, etc...

Good start, let's see if we can't keep it moving. Cool
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
An ex-troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Address banned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: