Yo! Lurkers! Input is manditory!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Yo! Lurkers! Input is manditory! Reply with quote

Just trolling for comments on the new layout and whatnot. What do you guys wanna see here? If you're just lurking, get an account and then say what you wanna see here. That means you, you!
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: DeadLink the 404error Reply with quote

When we took out the old stuff, we, uhh, took out the old stuff. Watch the logs for 404s (or just compare with archives) and put in symlinks to the relevant (new or archived) pages.

Also, it seems we need a 404 page Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Also... Reply with quote

It looks like whatever pulled the charbios into HTML took along linebreaks on Zib's page and the last paragraph of Shad's.

Some pages say it's 1999 in game time, some of the charbios say it's 2004. What should we standardize on? I.E., should charbios include breakup and JU3 events if we're encouraging people to RP in JU2/1999?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe toss the b0rked URLs here?

And cutoff depends on the time. The charbios and whatnot are specifically for JU3.
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 404s are anything on jihad.net that anyone has ever linked to, which is now going to be a dead link since the site has been revamped. I mentioned symlinks because they're easier to set up than 301 redirects, but anything to keep visitors from getting an empty page and closing the window would be helpful. One example is /community.html, which I linked to in a Usenet post less than two months ago. It's now a 404 error; it should redirect here or somewhere else that deals with (what remains of) Jihad community. We should also redirect CGI to either here or a CGI archive, /ju25 to /roleplaying.html, /archives and /archives/nonfiction to /archive.html and /non-fiction, and so on. Link death is bad for the web.

Here are the formatting errors in the charbios:
http://www.jihad.net/personae/shad-profile.htm -- "...which this "Barney" seemed to worry about, to find out if they could help him. <br> After making contact..." <---- <br> should be a </p>\n<p align="justify">

http://www.jihad.net/personae/zib-profile.html -- Lots of the same at "996" (which should probably be "1996"), and in the last two paragraphs.

Minor typo in archive.html, at ju3: "An semi-official" should be "A"

We may also want to have a links page to direct to other anti-Barney stuff on the Web: the Barney Fun Page, Mad Man Mike, Calliope's archive, etc.
Doc Forrest
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by any chance, some of us have some of the older games archived, would it be okay to send the Archivist a copy?

VRDET R&D Technician Forrest King
Calculus
Admin Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the 404 page back in - it's the default Sandwich.Net one, but probably better than a meta-404.
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Forrest wrote:
If by any chance, some of us have some of the older games archived, would it be okay to send the Archivist a copy?

The Archivist would be interested to know why the hell you haven't already.
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
Doc Forrest
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal-3 wrote:

Well, to tell you the truth, I've been busy with another writing project of mine. PM me your email addy, and I'll get the ones I've got to you as soon as humanly possible.

Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Forrest wrote:
Mal-3 wrote:

Well, to tell you the truth, I've been busy with another writing project of mine. PM me your email addy, and I'll get the ones I've got to you as soon as humanly possible.

The little link below that says "e-maill," go ahead and click that.
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
Doc Forrest
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal-3 wrote:
The little link below that says "e-maill," go ahead and click that.

I would have clicked on the e-mail link, except in your case, it does not exist.

cyohtee
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. Whatever.

Well, ya said we were required to post something Twisted Evil
cyohtee@barbarian.org - cyohtee@sandwich.net - cyohtee@ucan.foad.org
Charcharadon
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: It LIIIIVES! Reply with quote

Oog.

So, I survived a grad-school course of study which only took 4 years longer than anticipated*. I got a haircut (several actually) and I got a real job. I bought a house.

And then one day I was thumbing through my links, and decide to check out the old Jihad page.

Figured I'd check up and see who else had survived. And yes, Mr. Archivist, I'll comb through the old hard drive and see if I can locate anything that isn't in the archives. I suspect I have a couple chapters of Op: Phoenix that I wrote that never seemed to make it into the archives, though I _know_ I posted them way back when. (I swear)

So, there's at least one more Dobermensch who's still got his Linker on. I just needed to switch the batteries out, apparently. Razz

*(Important lesson for all the kiddies out there: when beginning your literature search after selecting a thesis topic, if all references you find to it are "this subject is extremely complicated and beyond the scope of this text," pick a different topic. It'll save you a lot of time, money, and grief.)

"I believe that reasonable men and women can resist the siren call of the internet, which whispers 'insult him, and do it in l33tspeak' every hour of every day..." -Shawn Carman
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: It LIIIIVES! Reply with quote

Charcharadon wrote:
So, there's at least one more Dobermensch who's still got his Linker on. I just needed to switch the batteries out, apparently. Razz

Hey! Charc! Smile

I was rather disappointed when I poked the last email I had for you and got a bounce back, so it's good to see you hanging around again. Whatcha think of the new board?

I know what you mean about grad school, I survived a two year master's program, and managed to graduate. Luckily, I only had to produce a project, but it was still quite intensive. But your advice is great.

And yes, it's nice to have you back again, even if it means I can't tease Tangaroa about being the last Dobe anymore. Wink

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB Charc, LTNS.

The Doberman Empire is now twice as strong as it was before (last week)! Soon, we will take over the world! Bwahaha... heh.

Let me know if you have anything to add to http://de.jihad.net/ which is a collection of all the old Dobe stuff that I could find and duct-tape together.

What'd you do your thesis on, btw? It sounds like you certainly picked an interesting topic.

(On the subject of "What is the Thesis?", don't know if you've seen this but it's funny: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=138 )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Jihad.Net and PHPab4d All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: