a bit of Leto's origin story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: a bit of Leto's origin story Reply with quote

Okay, here's some origin stuff. Basically it covers how Leto began to search for the Jihad...

Chapter 1: The Hunt Begins

Leto walked into the woods surrounding her cabin, barefoot. She walked till she found a fairly flat, even spot of grass, a clearing with a few large rocks lying about. She looked around, and then picked a rock to sit on, placing her new sword on the stone in front of her.

It was time to begin.

She didn’t know who these Jihaddi were, or where they could be found, but she had to try and find them. She crossed her legs and concentrated. If they used magic, she might be able to trace it…

She began to make a low humming noise as she concentrated harder. She rocked back and forth a little, expanding her search field, widening it, searching…

Sweat broke out on her forehead as she tried harder. Her hands clenched and unclenched, trying to find any hint of ‘good’ magics. The Jihaddi weren’t nearby, obviously…or else they could somehow hide their magic. Pain began to creep in the edges of her consciousness- she was putting out more energy than was safe in searching.

“Ahhhh!” A cry broke out from her throat. She fell forward, her hands finding her blade and curling around the sheath as she tried to ignore the pain. One hand gripped the wooden hilt.

Suddenly, the pain was gone. Leto could see the Jihaddi magic- even though it was far away. With startiling clarity, she was able to recognize their magical signatures. She opened her eyes, and stared unseeing in the distance. She slowly sat up, her hands leaving the magical blade.

Somehow the blade had ‘shown’ her where to look, or at least amplified her powers temporarily, and she was able to focus directly on where the magical signature was. Even as she watched, however, the signature was fading, and then lost.

It took a few moments for her to come out of the trance. Leto was weak and shaky, covered in sweat, and she had to use her blade to prop herself up. “No matter.” She muttered. “I know where to start now.”
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some more...
*big sign is put up- WORK IN PROGRESS*

Chapter 2: So it Starts
Music: Dust in the Wind, by Kansas

Leto started packing the next morning. After the trance, she’d gone right back to her cabin, fell on the bed, and slept for almost 24 hours straight. She then woke up , showered, and was now finishing up packing her few belongings, at least the ones she wanted to bring with her.

“Let’s see… clothing, yes, some money, good, sword; wrapped up and stuck in bedroll, excellent.” It was a standard camping backpack- large, a little ungainly, with a sleeping bag tied to the top. Her sword was pretty much hidden, and the bit that sticked out was too wrapped up to look like anything unusual.

She was wearing her usual outfit, slightly ripped jeans, raggedy t-shirt. She wore sandals, sans socks, and tied a hoodie around her waist. She slugged the camp-pack on her shoulders, topped off the outfit with a hundred-dollar bill (Canadian) print bandana, and stepped out the door.

Leto paused as she stood on her porch steps, turned and looked at the small logwood cabin. The area was remote, the place should be fine while she was gone. Just to be sure, she had set some nasty snares around the windows and doors- it wouldn’t kill the intruders, but it’d give them a good hurt and some unpleasant memories. She stood there for a long while, just looking at her ‘home’.

“Home…at least I have somewhere.” She mused, and then stepped off the porch and walked down a dirt path to civilization.

The bus driver shifted a little on his seat, flipping the paper he was reading. He heard someone coming up the steps. He yawned and looked over.

Young native kid, college age, looked like she was gonna go back-packing around for the summer. “Ticket?”

“Yessir.” Huh, weird voice. Probably smoked too much of the pot, like all those college punks. And who knew what hokey Indian spiritual stuff she was into- smoking the peace pipe and all that, the driver thought. He took the ticket and nodded his head towards the back of the bus.

“Take a seat. We leave in 10 minutes.”

“Thank you.” Leto took off the pack, stuffed it in the overhead storage. She sat down and stared out the window, ignoring the other passengers as they climbed aboard. After a few minutes, the fat driver put down his paper and started the bus. Leto gripped the railing as the bus began moving, jolting over the curb and down the road.

Later that Day
Music: Human Nature, from ‘The 5th Element’, by Eric Serra, then changes into traditional Native American music…

Her dreams were dark, strange, shifting scenes of the Homeworld, of the wide oceans and long, sandy beaches during one of the fierce storms that raged during the rainy season. Lightning streaked across the sky as she stood, alone on the beach, the wind whipping her hair into the air.

“Why now? Why must I leave?”

“Why do you always come out here in such fierce weather?”

“I wish to, Father.”

“You know I would have you stay. Your mother and I love you very much…”

“But.”

“But.” Her adopted Father, Kittim, had come from behind, and he placed a hand on her shoulder. “This is not your place. You will never realize your full potential on this world.”

“This is my home.”

“No, you know this. You belong to another world, a connection to which you feel even now. Your feet feel the strangeness of the Homeworld. Your power will wither and die, cut off from its Mothersoil.”

“It is time for you to go, my daughter. Your skills are different, are bound to your Birthworld. This much our mages know. You are of age, are able to survive on your own.”

“Mother, I…” Jaela had also arrived.

“Please, daughter. You know how what our race believes. And you, yourself, know that it is time to go Home.”

Leto watched the storms clouds whirl across the sky. The storm was increasing in its intensity.

“Yes, I know.” She said, her voice breaking.

“Do not be so sad, daughter. We know where to send you, to your birth Mother’s people. Hopefully you will find your own blood there.” Kittim’s own voice broke. “We had searched for so long…to find them…”

The scene swirled out of focus, blurred, and a strange new music broke across her concsiouness. Thumping, beating, voices wailing to an ancient tune. She watched from the pine trees as her mother’s people danced, feeling the call in her blood, instinctively beginning to move and follow the dance patterns in front of her. Singing…

Leto jolted awake, reflexively grabbing for a weapon. The other passengers stared at the young woman who’d been murmuring strange words and then singing in her sleep. Leto gave a quick snarl at them, and they turned away. She shook her head and turned back to the window.

“What dreams do I have?” She looked forward as the bus horn honked. They were almost at Vancouver.

Enjoy!
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: The next one Reply with quote

Chapter 3: In Vancouver
The youth hostel wasn’t hard to find. The area was a little grungy, but Leto wasn’t afraid. She yawned as she got off the city bus and walked towards the door. A drunk was leaning up against the wall. As she put her hand on the door handle, he stumbled forward and grabbed her wrist.

“Hey, babe, whas’ shay we go shum place nishe?”

Leto looked down at her wrist, then at the drunk (whom she didn’t understand at all) and said, “Please, sir, remove your hand.”

“What if I don’ wanna?” His grin turned nasty. “What if I’sh…owww!” The drunk grabbed his bleeding nose, as Leto had slammed the door in it. She shook her head as she walked inside.

“Humans can be very stupid sometimes…”

Leto lay, her back pack underneath the bunk, with her hands crossed behind her head. She waited for the noisiness in the room to die down, the lights to be turned off finally, before she attempted another trance. It wouldn’t be as easy as usual- it always worked better if she was outside, and she got more range if she was in a park or the bush or somewhere close to nature. She clasped her hands over her stomach and closed her eyes.

Her breathing slowed and deepened. Anyone watching would assume she was going to sleep. But she sunk, deeper, till it almost seemed like she wasn’t breathing at all. She expanded her range, struggling to get through the restrictive covering of the city, of concrete and steel.

And she waited, searching. Nothing yet, not what she was looking for, anyways. A few odd quirks and flashes, the subtle tremor of something larger and farther away. Leto was almost certain there would be something here or nearby, because Vancouver was a major city. Nothing yet, and she waited, actually quite comfortable just waiting and not expending much effort.

Something would pop up.

TRES outpost, Vancouver, BC
The private on the graveyard shift stared at the ceiling and idly twirled a pen around his fingers. He sighed. “This is what I get for asking whether or not Op. Sprinkles was a legitimate project…” He glanced idly at the computer screens. “Notta, nothing, zip. Thank goodness this a quiet night.” This was accompanied by a mildly ironic snort.

“Having fun?”

“Loads.” The private nodded at his visitor, his partner on the night watch. The young woman grinned.

“Coffeeeee?”

“Please.” He jumped a little when a cup appeared in his hands. The other private wrapped her hands around her own cup. “Geez! Hernandez, you never said you were a mage.”

“Yup.” She grinned again and sat down. “Cards?” A pack appeared on the table behind them.

“Why not? Playing cards with a mage is better than nothing.”

“Wait till you see what these babies do when you win…”

Leto’s eyelids flickered when she caught the magic. Slight, very slight, and faint. Minor magics, but definitely recognizable. She noted the direction of where the magic was coming from, and pulled out of the deep trance to settle peacefully into sleep.

Well, this was interesting.
Not, really, no.
Clever…
Hmm, maybe.

Leto crossed her arms and pondered the non-descript building across the street. The street was a market street, filled with stalls on the sidewalks and quirky odds & ends shops in old buildings. They were tons of people milling about, more than a few of them odd looking. She’d found the area of the magic source easily enough, but she wasn’t able to pinpoint it till it ‘flashed’ again this morning.

“Perhaps it is someone cooking their breakfast?” She chuckled to herself. The building was like any of the others, just another shop with people entering and leaving fairly consistently. She didn’t know what a Jihaddi looked like, if they wore some kind of uniform, or whatever. Leto realized she’d only be able to confirm it if the mage walked right…out…the door.

“There you are.” She murmured. A young woman had come to the cash register, visible through the glass front, and was laughing with a customer. Oh yes, that was her. Her aura glowed a soft, delicate rose colour. Leto blinked her eyes, dispelling the aura from visible sight, and walked across the street.

Private Hernandez looked up from where she was joking with one of the ‘regulars’ when the doorbell rang. It was a young native woman, not to unusual around her, with a camp-pack on her back. Hernandez excused herself from the customer and wandered over.

“Hi! Welcome to Weird n’Such. You looking for anything specific?”

“No, thank you. I am just looking.” The girl’s eyes seemed to light up a little, and a smile tugged at her mouth. Her voice was a little harsh, almost gravely, and heavily accented. Hmm, must be from up North, Hernandez thought.

“Well, that’s just fine! Let me know if you need something.” She nodded and left.

Leto watched her from the corner of her eye, then proceeded to wander about the shop, making sure her bulky pack didn’t bang into anything. She looked like the typical idle browser, fingering a few items, putting them down, and actually stared in interest (and for an unusual amount of time at that) at a stuffed beast that was striped black and white, with a bushy tail. In reality, she was scanning the room, noting the ‘employees only’ sign at the back. Everything appeared normal, no different then other shops she’d been in before. Leto pretended to study a leather-bound book as she tried to think of the right word to describe…yes, that was it! A ‘front’! She nodded at the woman behind the counter as she left the shop, only partially satisfied.

That place wasn’t a major outpost, that much was certain. It was too small, likely a only a safe-house or a place to scout from. “A watching-place.” Leto muttered. Staffed by minor workers as well.

Leto wanted to know more about the Jihad before she made any major decisions, and a small place like that wasn’t the spot to do it in. She decided to move southwards, towards the States, and see if there were spots of importance there.

“That was weird. Hey, Jacobs, come check this out.” Hernandez waved a hand at her fellow private. He wandered over. She casually nodded towards the native girl just leaving the store. “See her?”

“Yeah, she’s cute, what about it?” He shrugged.

“She spent 10 minutes just *staring* at Mickey the Skunk. Not doing anything, just staring at him.”

“Have you seen some of the people who come in here?” Jacobs nodded towards the hippie leaving with a collection of Indonesian wooden pipes carved in the shape of frogs. Hernandez rolled her eyes.

“You really need to pay more attention.”

“Geez, Hernandez, I got three hours of sleep last night.”

“Yeah, well, I took her picture, all the same. She just doesn’t *feel* right. Trust me.” Hernandez looked over at the security camera in the corner. “Never hurts to be cautious.”

Leto caught the next bus headed to the Border. Instead of sleeping this time, she thought, she’d slip into trance and try to trace some more spots. She was getting more familiar with the Jihaddi magic signatures, and hopefully she’d find a place big enough to get some real answers from.

She closed her eyes.

What will happen next? I don't know, I haven't written it yet...

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, this is looking really good so far. Nice work.
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: In the States now Reply with quote

Chapter 4: In Oregon
Music: The Seeker, by The Who

Leto travelled across the American border easily, flashing her passport and smiling prettily at the guards. She had a feeling her smile had more to do with their helpfulness than the passport.

She travelled down through Washington State, noting a few Jihaddi outposts, none of them major. She only stopped at one, actually walked past it, and didn’t see anything different than what she’d experienced before. Down again, through Oregon.

Leto was actually enjoying her trip, aside from her initial goal. She was thrust right into American culture, watching, learning, seeing new and different kinds of people. Her English began to improve, she began to speak with more familiarity about TV, movies, music, recent events, other states, everything. Her skills of observation allowed her to absorb large amounts of information, and she made sure to remember little details as well, like the names of highways, various cities and towns and where they were, or how far away. She chatted a bit with other college students, and was told about ‘good times’ in California. She was already feeling drawn there- Jihaddi magical signals had been growing in strength and frequency the further south she traveled, and she felt, very, very distantly, a hint of what could be a large source far to the south.

She decided to go to California.

A few days later, still in Oregon, near the California border
Welcome to Hell, by Sum 41

A couple of JPV/TRES officers decided to get together for a short roadtrip to Oregon. One of them had a brother with a rather remote ‘farm’ of sorts in Oregon, and they thought it’d be a good idea to invite some JPV friends over for a Memorial Day Weekend Party. Said brother would be out of town, so it was generally agreed upon as a Good Idea.

Various mages and many party supplies were ‘ported in. Wards were set to prevent mundanes from either wandering in or seeing something they shouldn’t. Given the presence of booze and beer, wiser heads decided to strengthen the wards. Music began to play, and the party began.

“FRAG IT!!!” Leto was jolted herself hard and fast out of her trance, lights sparkling in her field of vision. She began a loud and vigourous round of cursing. In the back of her mind, she was glad she was alone in the small town’s park. She’d been searching again, not really picking up on anything, when a series of small magic signals began in the distance. Curious, she’d turned her ‘vision’ that way, only to metaphorically widen her eyes as the signals rapidly grew in strength. She did a mental version of jumping out of the way of a large truck (painted in psychedelic colours at that) racing down a road before the explosion came.

“KIDA LETELYN….DAMN!!!” it was about as clear a magic source as magic could get. And it was very close by. Leto took a deep breath and tried to dispel the sensation that the world was spinning around her. Snapping out of trance was a…unpleasant sensation. She glared in the general direction of the source- magic that just ‘popped up’ didn’t usually bother her, but if it was large or close enough, it had something of an effect of having a large speaker being played full blast in her ear. They effects would fade, eventually, but it wasn’t something she wanted to try.

Ever.

“Well, it is them, so I might as well have a look…” she muttered, and picked up her backpack. It was late, and she was tired, but she wanted to see what was going on.

One of the mages had tried to enchant some of the local chickens to do the Can-Can. Another one was arranging an impressive set of fireworks to say ‘Memorial Day’, but was talked out of it. Music played at abnormally loud levels, and the wards were beginning to strain at the seams.

Leto peered from the bushes and shook her head, then carefully and quietly creeped back. This was not something she wanted to look at for too long. Despite the large group of Jihaddi personnel present (she could see even see the ingsignias from where she was) the magical situation looked far to hazardous for her to get any closer. She looked over her shoulder one last time as she left.

“Dancing chickens?”

Don't ask, just DON'T ask

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: A TRES upset Reply with quote

Chapter 5: Somewhere in Northern California
Leto was actually getting more excited the farther south she travelled. The magic signatures were increasing in size- she could tell she was getting close to something big. And she was fairly pleased with herself at the moment as well- She’d spotted a much larger outpost then the small safehouses and such she’d seen since leaving Canada. It hadn’t been a store, but what looked like a smaller private business building.

She’d stopped at a café across the street and watched the employees come over for coffee. She’d sat quietly, sipping her drink. One of the male employees had wandered over, smiling and asking if he could sit by her.

“If you wish.” She didn’t want to be rude. He’d smiled even wider and sat down, began chatting. Leto had seen enough of human mating rituals when she’d accidentally crashed an outdoor college party near Seattle to know what he was up to. He offered to pay for her drink, and seeing her opportunity, Leto battered her eyelashes at him and accepted. She asked him what he did. He said he worked at a computer company across the street. “Really?”

“Oh, yeah, it’s great.” They talked some more, and she asked when he got off work. His grin spread and he said, “Around four.”

“Great, I will meet you there!” She got up and left.

“Wait! I…” Too late, she was out the door. The man had groaned and hoped his CO didn’t find out about what he just did. Leto shifted in a nearby alleyway and slipped in a service door, literally as quiet as a mouse. THAT afternoon had certainly been an…enlightening experience. She snickered to herself as she hitched a ride on someone’s boot. Later on, she’d gone back to the alleyway, retrieved her hidden pack, and calmly walked in the front door in human form, where she was waiting now.

“Hello? May I help you?” The desk clerk looked up the young Native woman who’d wandered in the front door. She raised an eyebrow. She didn’t look like the usual person to walk into a computer programming company- especially this one.

“Hmm? Oh, yes, I agreed to meet a Mr…Phil Gibbons?” The young woman, who was kind of cute, adjusted her back, speaking in a harsh voice and heavy accent. The desk clerk rolled her eyes. Ah, Lt. Gibbons. She wasn’t surprised. The Lieutenant had a reputation with the ladies. But still, the girl really shouldn’t have known to come here…Gibbons was gonna get it for this one.

“Yes, if you could just wait here a minute, Miss, Mr. Gibbons gets off at…”

“Four? Yes, I know, he told me.”

The desk clerk groaned to herself. Shit, this was too close to a security problem for her liking. Gibbons was toast. “Ah, yes, so if you’d take a seat?” she gestured at the plush chairs in the lobby. The girl nodded, sat down, and grabbed a magazine. She was soon tapping a foot to the Good Music coming from hidden speakers.

Leto watched the secretary out of the corner of her eye. She seemed irritated. She hid her face in the magazine and grinned. “She would be a lot more irritated if she knew where I was earlier…”

The desk clerk grumbled to her self as she typed various commands into her computer, communicating with the base AI. She could have just spoken out loud, but with an outsider present, that was impossible. Besides, she wanted to check something…

-Hey, Kim, can you check this girl out for me? See if there’s anything out on her?-

-Sure, no problem- The AI flashed a smiley face onscreen. The security camera in the corner panned slowly and silently, zooming in on the girl. –Whoop, we got a live one! Check this out.- The AI flashed a picture on screen, taken from the TRES outpost in Vancouver. –I’ve got one other sighting of this same girl, young, Native, weird voice, from a spot in Washington State.-

-And now she shows up here. Hmm.- The clerk had an idea. She turned up the music on the lobby speakers, AC/DC. The girl didn’t react negatively, in fact, she seemed to enjoy it. Her foot was tapping and the clerk could swear her lips were moving as well. –Is she singing along with ‘Hell’s Bells’?-

-Looks like it- The AI scanned for a closer look.

-Okay, she’s no spongie. But I still think she’s up to something. Damn Gibbons!- The desk clerk grumbled and sent an email off to her immediate superior. –Kim, see what you can, wait, let me get her name- “Miss, your name?”

“Excuse me?” Leto looked over at the desk clerk.

“Who should I tell Mr. Gibbons is waiting for him? He’ll probably want to know.”

“Re…Regina. Regina Bucher.” Leto grunted out her real name, playing it safe. If the Jihaddi wanted to check her out, they’d find something perfectly innocent that way. The clerk smiled and nodded.

-Right, Kim, check anything on a Regina Bucher-

-Done-

Gibbons, after being roundly scolded for his foolishness, was told to go out with Leto for ‘informational’ purposes only. He smiled at her as he emerged from somewhere into the lobby. Leto smiled back.

“So, you, uh, wanna go out for dinner?”
“Yes, that would fine.” Leto smiled some more and Gibbons gulped. He looked back at the desk clerk, who smiled nastily and drew a finger across her throat. Leto, for once, didn’t notice the exchange.

Music: Ahead by a Century, by The Tragically Hip
Leto decided to camp outdoors that night. Her meal with Phil (or was it what they called a date?) had gone fairly well, though he seemed to ask a lot of questions. She’d never gone out with a guy before, so she didn’t know what to expect. Leto guessed it was normal, just a way that people got to know one another. He’d asked her about her home, where’d she’d come from, complimented her clothes. She’d liked that part. Then they had gone on to various topics, interests, casual conversation. They started talking about TV, and then Phil had leaned back and laughed about ‘some stupid kid’s show’ his sister’s children liked, called ‘Barney and Friends’.

It had set her on edge.

Immediately she knew what he was doing- watching her. Had the Jihaddi detected her? Possibly, and she cursed herself for not being more careful. She’d smiled and answered Phil as calmly as she could.

“I HATE that…”she tried to think of an appropriate word, “…twisted show. Talk about corrupting the youth of America.”

“Yeah, true enough.” He’d laughed, and they continued with dinner. He’d tried to kiss her when he dropped her off at the motel she was staying. She’d allowed that, and it was…interesting. Phil had smiled nicely, then kissed her on the cheek and said good night. She figured they’d probably watch her motel room, so she slipped out the back and camped out in the bush.

Leto remembered Phil walking away and felt a pang. They’d both been lying to each other, and it was the first time she felt bad about something…like that. She didn’t wish to experience it again. She felt worse because she had no intention of ever seeing him again, just getting information and then moving on. She sighed, closed her eyes, and tried to sleep.

On to Sonoma...

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: An Encounter Reply with quote

Chapter 6: Guerneville, Sonoma County, California
Music: Boom Shak a Lak, by Apache Indian

Leto tried not to laugh as she walked through the downtown of a place called Guerneville. She’d thought she’d seen weird things in Vancouver. Her eyes widened as she walked past a couple of…well, she wasn’t sure what she’d call them. She didn’t even bother trying to look for magic signals here, there were too many small, minor magics popping up all over the place by now. And the large source she had begun to sense earlier was now much easier to trace; she didn’t have to go into a trance.

Leto chuckled as she watched a couple of young children chase a dog up the side walk, stumbling into more than one person and almost knocking over table of the person selling t-shirts outside. There were shouts of irritation and laughter both. She chuckled some more, and then the chuckle turned into a cough. Leto covered her mouth and waited for the fit to pass, then felt her throat in worry. What had that been all about?

She shook her head and tried to forget it. What she needed to do was maybe relax and enjoy herself a little, then move on. She doubted there was any Jihaddi in this town; it was far too small to warrant much attention. She wandered down the street, laughing again at some guy walking across the street on stilts, and the laugh quickly became a cough again. She hacked and patted her chest, wincing and now more worried.

“Oh, dear.” Leto had never been sick before, not here on Earth. Her birthparents had immunized her, she was sure, and Kittim and Jaela had made sure she had shots for various other ailments. She would have had no immunity to illness if not for that, and could’ve dropped within a week if her parents had not been so foresighted. But it was inevitable that eventually something would get to her, she supposed. Leto was just glad it appeared to be a cough, and not something more serious. A simple cough she could handle.

The next day, somewhere in the country
As the morning progressed it got worse. Her throat began to feel raw, her nose itchy and runny. She took her 100 dollar bill bandana from her pack and used it as a handkerchief, blowing her nose now and then. Leto knew some wood lore, about a few medicinal herbs, but those were all plants to be found in BC, and she had no idea what kind of medication to take for whatever she had. She figured she better find a place to stay, and quick.

The problem was that she’d already left Guerneville, hopping a ride on a farmer’s truck to check out some of the vineyards out in the country. Leto had ignored her symptoms, thinking that some clean, fresh air and being closer to the earth would help. But she was, she thought, absolutely miserable as she hunched over in the back of the truck. The weather was cooling rapidly and promising rain. She could feel it coming.

The farmer pulled over with a sudden jerk. Leto peered over the edge, seeing grape vines. And not much else. “What is this?” She barked, her voice rougher than usual.

“Well, ya said ya wanted to check out the vineyards, miss, and this is it.” The farmer got out of the truck and opened the back for her, standing and waiting for her to get out.

“Yes, but I *hack* thought there *cough* some buildings, a-a place *hack* to read about things.” Leto was tired, ill, and not thinking clearly. Her English slipped, and all she could do was wave a brochure at the farmer, who shrugged.

“Not my concern, Miss. I said I give ya a ride, and this is the only vineyard in the direction I was heading.”

“But, but…you *cough* said…” She stared at him with bleary eyes. The farmer didn’t give a damn. He was busy, and if some dumb college punk (and an Indian one at that) couldn’t figure out directions, that wasn’t his problem.

“Listen, Miss, I’m real sorry, but I gotta go. Town’s that way if this isn’t what ya were lookin’ for.” He jerked his thumb back the way they came, got into the truck, and sped down the dirt road, leaving her coughing on dust. Leto stared in wrath at the departing vehicle. If she knew where he lived, she’d go over there, shift, and…and…No, she was too tired. She could barely summon the energy to turn back the way she’d come and start walking. Her head ached, her chest was paining her, which was made worse by the fact she couldn’t stop coughing.

Leto put one foot in front of the other, started to walk back.

A couple of hours later
It was nightfall and Leto had no idea where she was. Being lost was another new and unpleasant sensation for her- she usually paid attention to the area around her when she was travelling, but she’d been too sick to bother looking about during the trip in the farmer’s truck. And she was too sick now to pay attention to where she was going. She just headed back, not realizing the farmer had taken several twists and turns enroute.

Her head hurt even more now, and she felt chilled. Clouds were gathering on the horizon, and sure enough, it started to rain. She moaned quietly to herself as she hunched under her hoodie, having put it on before hand. The rain came down hard and cold, and her shivers grew deeper. Leto felt weak and cold, almost ready to faint, but sheer iron-willed stubbornness kept her upright and moving through the now muddy road. She tried to draw strength from the earth, even taking off her shoes and abandoning them, feeling the slimy much curl through her toes. The solid feel of the earth beneath her didn’t help. She wasn’t thinking clearly, leaving her shoes behind like that…

“…what if some creature…how about a nice cup of coffee…bastards, the pain….I’ll find you…oh, stop, please stop!.... it hurts!” Everything seemed to fade away in a blur of fever and sickness. She shuffled through the mud, not feeling the rain or cold or anything, babbling to herself. She tried a simple spell, but the words didn’t seem to fit past her lips, tumbling in confusion around her tongue. It made her feel weaker. Her eyesight began to blur and waver as well, coloured lights dancing around, the earth seeming to rise and fall like the sea. “Cold…hot…water… sky, cloud…Bird woman…Orca swimming…land…pine trees…” she was hunched over, looking at the ground, muttering and murmuring, and she slipped into her native tongue, words simply flowing out.

Flight to the Ford, Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack, Howard Shore
Suddenly her legs gave. Even her sheer stubbornness was eventually defeated, and Leto collapsed in the mud by the side of the road, feverish and uncaring.

As she lay there in the muck, her consciousness fading, Leto felt…something. Magic, strong magic, and it was coming towards her. She opened her eyes, and all she could see was a gentle glow, only an aura. It was a rich, deep purple colour, and she had a sense of slipping into the stars as peacefulness enveloped her and she passed out.

Hmmm...waking up in a CoStDa kinda place?

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Waking up the next day Reply with quote

Chapter 7: A Place of Peace

The Brother who carried the girl into the monastery was a large man, and the figure in his arms seemed as slight as a twig. When he arrived, others took her pack, but he personally handed her over to some Sisters to be bathed and cared for. The Native girl was sick, very sick, and as soon as he was able, the Brother who rescued her entered her room to help in the healing process. A stream of strange words ran from her lips, in no recognizable language, fever-talk, and she struggled against their gentle ministrations.

“By Grimace, how could the girl be so ill and get so far out here? You say you found her by the side of the road?” A Sister clucked under her breath, dabbing the girl’s head with a cloth. The large Brother nodded.

“Aye, she must be a strong-willed lass to do such a foolish thing.” He tenderly poured some warm medicinal tea down her throat, making sure it didn’t spill. “Hopefully it’ll have no lasting effects.”

Music: Golden Brown, Snatch Soundtrack, the Stranglers
Leto blinked several times. She slowly opened her eyes, wincing at the bright light pouring from a window on the far wall of the room. Bird song filtered in through the glass. She grimaced as she moved her head, opening her eyes a little wider. She was in a strange bed, in strange clothes, but very, very comfortable. The mattress was incredibly soft.

She looked around a bit more, instinct kicking in, and started taking in her surroundings. The room was, well…different. It was small, the walls were plaster or stucco, normal enough, with stone floors, but there were a variety of psychedelic coloured rugs thrown around everywhere. There were posters on the wall of cartoon characters she didn’t recognize, of bands that she did, several framed photos, and a plaque that seemed to bear some sort of mission statement. There was a couple of beanbag chairs piled in one corner, a sturdy wooden desk with a computer on it underneath the window. A nice-sized CD player was tucked into a wall niche a few feet off the ground, playing some music, a CD rack just that high beside it. The lamp by her bedside was a lava lamp. All in all, it was a very pleasant room, if a little strange.

Leto turned her head the other way as she heard a door open. On her other side someone entered, a big man carrying a bowl and spoon, dressed in…robes? Well, it was California she mused, having gotten used to the weirdness by now.

The big man eyes lit up when he saw she was awake. “Ah! You return to the land of the living. We were worried about you there for a bit.” He set the bowl down on the nightstand and moved to help her sit up. Leto raised her hand.

“I…am quite all right, thank you. Thank you very much for taking me in.” She made a face, shaking off the light-headness she felt upon waking and moving. The man stood back, then grabbed a bean-bag chair and sat down next to her. He grinned as she grabbed the bowl off the table and looked around.

“It’s no problem, not at all. Need spoon?” He held one up.

“Ah…yes, thank you.” Leto eyed him suspiciously and took the spoon from his hand. The large man grinned again.

“The name’s Brother Adam, by the way. You can call me Adam, though.” Brother Adam waited as Leto stuck the first spoonful in her mouth. He was surprised by her reaction.

Leto’s eyes bugged out and she began to chew very slowly. The startled expression faded to an expression of curious interest as she finished chewing and swallowed. Her voice grated a little, and he realized that it wasn’t just from the illness she’d had; she talked that way normally.

“This-is-interesting. What is it?”

“Fruit Loops. Haven’t you ever had them before?” Leto shook her head. Brother Adam looked a little startled himself. “Haven’t you even heard of them?”

“No, but I have not lived…here for very long. I have lived in Canada till now.”

“Huh. You must’ve lived pretty far out, then. They have Fruit Loops up there too, last time I checked.” Adam chuckled. He thought maybe she lived out on a reservation way up north.

Leto looked down at the bowl of brightly coloured circles, paused, and then decided to ignore the question and began wolfing them down. She’d never felt so hungry in her life.

“Hey, take it easy there, you’ve been out for a while. Eat too fast and you’re stomach might not appreciate the favour.” Leto paused and swallowed.

“It is good. I like it. How long was I sleeping?”

“Sleeping? All that night, yesterday, and last night, ‘bout a day.” Adam suddenly clapped his hands. “Oh, man, I nearly forgot my manners. I’ll get you your medicinal tea- we wanna make sure that bug doesn’t come back to bite you.” He winked and left the room. Leto kept eating, watching him leave. While he was gone, she filed him away in the back of her mind. Over 6’, at least 6’4” or 5”. Well built, dusky skin, long brown hair tied back in a ponytail. Blue eyes that seemed to laugh a lot, pleasant enough looks. And of course, the aura. She knew he was the one who’d saved her the moment he’d walked in the room, when his aura had shone so brightly it seemed to light the whole small space up. Leto had to blink several times to dispel it, but there still seemed to be a lingering… peacefulness about Brother Adam. She struggled with what she was going to tell him- she was inherently honest, and it seemed wrong to lie to him. This was going to be tricky, because she was certain she was in a Jihaddi stronghold, though the ‘feel’ of it was a little, no, a LOT, strange.

She was in the process of slurping down the last of the milk when Brother Adam came in. He saw her with bowl tipped up, gulping, eyes suddenly going over to him. Leto blushed a little and set the bowl down quickly.

“Um…hungry. Very. Oooh….you were right. The stomach does not like that.” Even as she finished, there were rebellious rumblings in her belly. Her face went pale.

“Whoops! Here you go.” He handed over a mug filled with something sweet-smelling in it steaming. Leto grimaced and took a sip, then another. The tea tasted good, almost too good, and a spreading warmth grew from her throat down into her tummy. “Well?” Adam looked worried. Leto smiled at him.

“It is good…my stomach feels better already. What is in it?”

"Ah, ah, trade secret.” He smiled.

“I guess I do not wish to know, then.” Leto shot back, and then smiled as well. “So, where am I?”

“Oh, just a little place some people call a monastery. We prefer to call it ‘a place where we make good booze and grow things’. Otherwise known as a place belonging to the Church of St. Dino the Avenger. And you are? No offense meant, I just didn’t want to go through your things to find out.”

Leto, upon hearing the name, wasn’t surprised at all. She finally recognized the cartoon characters on the wall- she had a small TV that occasionally picked up a station. And she was used to the weirdness of California by now.

“Oh, I am sorry. My name is…” she hesitated for a moment. Again, what would she say? They would likely check her name. Oh, what the heck. He seemed like a nice guy and she was tired of searching, for now. She wanted a rest, a break for once. “Regina Bucher. But you may call me Leto…it is my nickname.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Brother Adam smiled and chatted with her as she finished her tea. Leto couldn’t help it- she swirled the brew around in her mouth and was able to identify most of the ingredients. There were some that were strange, but that was likely because she wasn’t that familiar with the fauna of California yet. When she finished, she set the mug aside and, grudgingly, extended an arm.

“I am sorry…but I think I need some help getting up. And I need to…” she blushed again. For the first time, Brother Adam looked a little uncomfortable himself.

“Ah, um, right, sure. I can get one of the Sisters to help you out.” He paused. “You probably should get some fresh air next. If you want, I can take you out back, maybe show you some of the grounds.” He took her arm and gently helped her out of bed. Leto clung to him for a moment, dizzy again, then resettled. She spoke a little slowly.

“Yes, yes, that would be nice. It would be good to feel the earth and sun right now.”

Next up...time amongst the Brothers and Sisters Very Happy
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: And then... Reply with quote

Man, this whole CoStDa set is taking a while....

Chapter 8: A Day in the Life of…
Leto leaned on Brother Adam’s arm as they walked out into the sunlight, after she was finished cleaning up. After a Sister Gail showed her the way to the ladies communal bathroom/showers, she’d decided to shower and change into fresh clothes, which were thoughtfully provided. She was now clad in loose-fitting, undyed cotton draw-tring pants, and a black tank-top that had a green smiley face (with two arms and hands that were giving a thumbs-up) with no eyes and it’s tongue sticking out.

“Nice shirt. You a fan of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe?”

“Actually, yes.” She’d read the book and found it very amusing. She gently pulled her arm away from Brother Adam’s. “I think I am fine now. Ah!” she winced in the bright light. “I did not realize it would be so…sunny.”

“Here.” Brother Adam slipped a pair of sunglasses off his shirt collar. They were very large, with tie-dye coloured frames. Leto looked at them, giggled, then put them on. They covered half her face. “Wow, nice glasses!”

“Ha ha.” She shook her head. She wasn’t surprised, given what Brother Adam was currently wearing. Aside from the loose, light brown robe and cowl, he had on a pair of worn out jeans, sandals, no socks, and a white t-shirt that said ‘No Fear’, but in bright pink letters.

Brother Adam guided her around the building. It was a low, Spanish style ranchero building, white with red tiles, and somewhat large, with a few out buildings scattered around. And it was remote- Leto wondered how far she travelled, since all she could see were fields, vineyards, and a dusty road stretching off into the distance. But the air was fresh and clean, a breeze coming in from the ocean. She laughed and chatted with Adam as he showed her around, pointing out the fields where they grew barley and wheat for beer and whiskey, grapes for wine, the pumphouse and irrigation system, other bits and pieces that went with growing crops. She noted, however, that he kept her away from a moderately sized area not too far away from the main building. Not surprising, given that it was heavily enchanted and warded. Leto stopped Adam for a few minutes, asking some question about the few animals, chickens, dogs, and cats, they had running around, and when he answered, concentrated on the warded area.

It was protected by an invisibility spell, and a misdirection spell as well. Normal people would look at it and their eyes would just ‘slide’ off into the surrounding vineyard, and anyone one else would simply see nothing. She concentrated, trying to break her vision through the wards and spells. It was no wonder the place felt strange; aside from the weirdness of a commune dedicated to a cartoon character, the magics were had an odd source, all though they were well made.

“Ah ha.”

“What was that?” Brother Adam looked down at Leto. She had murmured to herself and was staring at something in the distance. Leto peered forward, having managed to get through the illusion spells. But it hadn’t been easy, and she was already sweating from the effort it took. She was still recovering from the illness. The buildings were there, but hazy, three greenhouses, all filled with rows of leafy green plants, all the same plants as well. “Are you all right there, lass? You’re looking a bit peaked.” He steadied her arm again.

“Oh, yes, just fine…damn. Where did they go?” Leto slammed her mouth shut as soon as the words fell out. Brother Adam gave her a funny look.

“What ‘they’?”

“Oh, dear…the greenhouses. There were greenhouses there.” Leto pointed and sighed. She was too tired to make excuses. Brother Adam looked around, an ‘I’m innocent and whistling’ expression on his face.

“What greenhouses?” Mentally, he was worried. Those greenhouses stored some of ‘St. Dino’s finest’, and it wouldn’t do to have a Mundane detect them. And if she wasn’t a Mundane…

“Listen, I saw some glass buildings, there…and there.” Leto pointed. “I will not lie to you- you have some very good magics. I just…oh.” her knees crumpled, and she came close to passing out again. The heat and the effort of breaking through the invisibility spell became too much. Brother Adam caught her, his face now serious.

“Okay, so it wasn’t a good idea to bring you out here. Let me…”

“No! I am fine, really, please…” as he picked her up she began to mutter deprecations in her native tongue, grumbling all the way back to her room.

“So, you want to explain what you saw out there?” Leto looked down at her hands at Brother Adam’s words. He wasn’t angry, just cautious.

“I am truly sorry, Brother Adam. I did not realize that the plants were illegal. I assure you I have no issue with it.” she looked up and stared him down- an interesting scene, given that she was sitting in bed again, and he was towering over her. “And I am thankful, more than thankful, that you let me use your room.”

“No changing the subject. And you’re welcome.” He was still wary, but the mood lightened somewhat. He also began to note Leto’s accent. It wasn’t Native, not at all, and it wasn’t really anything else either. And she spoke very carefully, almost formally, like she wasn’t familiar with the language. She was tough though, he gave her that. She had no problem in facing down someone twice her size.

Leto sighed. “Yes, yes, I know. Perhaps I should explain some more.” She must be more tired than she thought, but what the hell. At some point the truth was going to come out…not the whole truth, not by a long shot. But enough. She was trusting these ‘Jihaddi’ more and more, even though she was studying them from a distance. And Brother Adam was very kind, like all the people here, and funny. She took a deep breath and began.

“Please, sit down. This may take a while.”

Even MORE coming soon Smile
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Please, people, critize! Critize! Feedback! ;) Reply with quote

Chapter 9: Setting it Up

By the time she was done, Brother Adam had settled back in his chair, looking a little stunned but mostly… understanding. Leto studied him carefully, warily, wondering if he’d push her any farther.

“Wow.” That was all.

“Wow?”

“Yeah. I mean, I’ve come across some strange stuff here. But I’ve heard of worse, if it’s possible.”

Leto had been more forthright with Brother Adam then anyone else yet. It was a relief, confessing like that. She hadn’t told him where she came from, or what exactly had happened to her with the minions, but he seemed to sense her mood and didn’t ask what had happened. A question about her where she’d been was rebuffed with a tart ‘Piss off!’

“Thank you for listening.” She bowed her head.

“Hey, no problem. That’s what I’m here for.” His face had a crooked grin. “That’s me, your friendly neighbourhood shoulder-to-cry-on.” Leto snorted, then laughed. Brother Adam leaned back and grabbed a couple of mugs of beer. He’d aquainted her with the local brew. “Here you go.”

“Thank you.” Leto grinned back and took a deep slug. It was the first alcohol she’d tasted in a while. “Oh, that is good. Very good.” She leaned back and drained it (a sizable amount too), Brother Adam watching with a growing expression of astonishment. She finished with a gusty sigh and wiped her mouth. “Mmm, beer. Beer good.”

He tried to keep his face straight, he really did. But within seconds, Brother Adam’s façade cracked and he leaned back and roared with laughter. He laughed and grabbed a remote. “Man, that’s some good drinking!” he flicked a button, and the CD player turned on.

Music: The Oaf, In Loving Memory Of…, Big Wreck
They both settled back with newly-filled mugs of beer, and Brother Adam began to regale Leto with tales and anecdotes of life on a CoStDa ‘monastery’. She laughed, a lot. But then he sighed and waved towards the greenhouses.

“Yeah, we supply to some, ah, friends. Problem is, the wards and all that don’t work really well with stoned Mundanes.”

Leto frowned, clutching her drink. “What do you mean? I have some studies in magic, and it was hard for me to see them. I could sense *hiccup* them, but not see them.”

Brother Adam raised an eyebrow at that, and clutched his own drink. He was well on his way to being drunk, Leto less so. Her alcohol tolerance was much higher. “Well, y’see, pot does some pretty funky things to yer head.”
He began to speak with a funny accent the drunker he got, Leto noted. “Yes, I know this…”

“So ye see, a stoned mage, let’s say, ain’t much different than a stoned Mundane. Still can see the same things, whate’er. But, aw, hell, I dunno. Mundanes can see right through those bleedin’ wards when their stoned. I don’t know how.” He shook his head. “So, one day, someone, an’ I won’t say who, was at a party, said a little more than ‘e should’ve. Next thing we know, we got a car load of stoned college kids coming up every now and then, usually on the weekend, trying to steal pot. Pro’lem is, we don’t wanna hurt the blighters, or maim ‘em, or turn ‘em inta somethin’.” He pointed out the window, and Leto watched with fascination. “Pretty innocent, mostly. But damme if they don’t try to break into the greenhouses, each and every time. Three times so far. Lost a bit of crop, too. We tried everything, wards, spells, whatever, don’ work. Stoned Mundane’ll walk right through it. An’ we can’t call the cops, either, cause those buggers’ll arrest the lot of us. Sides, they never take that much.” He sighed again and shook his head.

Leto sipped her beer and thought for a moment. She’d told Brother Adam she could sense magic, but not much else in that regard.

“Do you think they will come by soon, again?”

“Tonight, probably.”

“Tonight?” Leto looked up in surprise. “How do you know they will come by tonight?”

“Gut instinct. That and it’s Prom night someplace nearby…” Brother Adam waved his hand in the general direction of civilization. Leto thought some more, staring at the ceiling. After a few moments, she said dreamily,

“I will need a large roll of string, another of wire, and a bundle of wooden slats.”

“Huh?” Leto just smiled at Brother Adam.

“Just trust me.” It wasn’t a very nice smile.

Much Later, after Sundown
A small group of CoStDa members, Brother Adam, and Leto all stood in a half circle in front of the greenhouses. Most stood with their arms crossed and wondered if they were a little high, confused expressions on their faces.

“What does it do?”

“I’m not sure…”

“Do we even want to know?”

“Why are we trusting a Mundane…”

“I don’t think she’s a Mundane. NO WAY is she a Mundane. Not after…this.” A Sister waved her hand at the booby traps Leto had set up around the perimeter of the three greenhouses. It was obvious some of them had been enchanted- not as well as some, but some basic illusionary spells that would be set off when someone got near them. Leto stood with a very smug smile on her face. She turned to Brother Adam.

“This is the least I could do for the kindness you have shown me here. Please, go and rest. I will see to the younglings when they arrive.” Brother Adam shook his head, somewhat hung over.

“Well, I haven’t…wow. This isn’t bad. Not bad at all, lass.” He grinned down at her. Leto paused for moment and eyed him closely.

“You have an accent, yes? It is not so strong now.”

“What? Oh, yeah, I was born in Yorkshire, England. Parents immigrated when I was a kid. Kinda gets thick when I’ve had a bit too much too drink.”

Leto nodded. “Yes…you have magic, too? You are a skilled mage, I think.”

Brother Adam looked a little startled. “Magic? Me? No, not really. I’ve never really tried anything, don’t think I have the Gift.” Leto raised an eyebrow as the others began to filter away. She shook her head.

“You must! Your aura…it is very strong. That is how I recognized you as the one who rescued me. You have great power, or potential for it.” Leto raised her hands and passed them around him, and Brother Adam stared at her closely.

“My aura? What do you mean? What does it look like?” Leto moved her hands downward.

“Your aura? It is purple…a very rich, deep purple. It is so very peaceful…but it seems to have great power behind it.” Brother Adam looked in her eyes as she moved her hands away, then at his own hands. Rich purple? He suddenly felt a little over awed. Leto continued. “I think you are blessed, in a way. I am sorry I cannot explain it better.”

“Hey, it’s all right.” Brother Adam shook his head and began to walk back, still staring at his hands. “Hrm…” Leto waited till he was out of sight, then stepped back into the vineyard. A little later, a ripple of movement could be seen moving around the greenhouses.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Yay! More things! Reply with quote

Chapter 10: Fun and Games

The students pulled the car over far up the road, away from the main buildings. They walked through the vineyard, heading towards the greenhouses full of pot the bizarre hippie commune grew.

“How’d you find out about this place?”

“Heh, my brother’s in college, they raided this place once.” The young man smirked. “Like taking candy from a baby, he said. These guys can’t call the cops.”

“How do they get away with it?”

“I dunno. Shh! We’re almost there.” There was a chorus of snickers as the teens approached the first greenhouse.

Leto waited. Patiently. She perked her ears up as the first few teens (and they weren’t much younger then herself) came near, laughing under their breath. Her eyes gleamed as the first one came to the ward line.

Brother Adam climbed on top of a small hillock not far away from the greenhouses. He had a mug of hot tea and a pair of binoculars. He sipped gingerly.

“Man, who knew she was such a good drinker? I gotta remember not to get in a drinking contest with her again. Whoa!” He raised the binoculars as a large flare sprang up. The actual, physical traps were strung between the frames that held up the grape vines, in the dark looking something like scarecrows. Until someone tripped the line and a bunch of wooden slats came down and battered said interloper, along with the magical flares for added effect.

The teenage guy pushed a grape vine away, the greenhouses clear in his already half-stoned mind. He peered ahead, then stepped into the glow of light that surrounded the glass. He looked cautiously around, and then motioned for his friends to come. He turned back

Music: Spice Up Your Life, by Spice Girls
*whoosh* *thunk* “Aieee!!!”

The teen screamed as a massive black panther literally *dropped* out of nowhere in front of him. Almost simultaneously, screams erupted around and behind him, as his fellow delinquents were battered by wooden slats and bright, magical lights. His screams died to a terrified whimper as the cat growled, green eyes shining in the flashing lights. It slunk forward, he moved back, and then it made a little leap forward. The teen whimpered again and fell back on his tush in the dirt. The panther seemed to grin, and it lowered it’s head till it was eye-to-eye with him.

“Go home and do not come here again.” The cat’s voice came out as a soft snarl. The teen’s eyes rolled back in his head and he fainted.

Leto shook her head and sighed, then gently picked the foolish young man by the back of his neck and dragged him close to the road. Then, as there were still several teens still wandering around, she gleefully bounded back into the vineyard to cause some more trouble.

Brother Adam watched in amazement as a black panther chased the delinquents around the vineyard. It probably wasn’t the nicest way to deal with the kids, but they were the ones stupid enough to try and steal pot. He groaned, wondering what the clean-up detail would be like. He doubted the kids would say anything, since reporting being chased by a giant black panther would involve WHY they were being chased by a giant black panther…still, it’d be tricky for the clean-up crew.

“Wow, she’s a better illusionist than I thought.”

Leto easily loped after the last couple of teens, who ran screaming for their car, dodging vines and frames, dislodging a few grapes. She idly wondered if she wasn’t pushing it a little- it stood to reason that these Jihaddi would be concerned about security. But she WAS having fun.

The last two teens scrambled up the ditch after their friends. Leto noted that they’d piled the first one into the car already. She jumped up after them, skidding a little on the dirt as the car squealed and pulled away. She laughed to herself and scratched her ear, then stretched out in a sinous flex and padded back to the greenhouses.

Brother Adam climbed down from the hillock, shaking his head. Leto was scary, very scary. Well, those poor kids were probably scared so bad they wouldn’t be coming back for a while. He wondered where Leto was…

“Gak!” Adam jumped back as the panther slid by in front of him. It didn’t seem to notice him, and passed through some more vines. Brother Adam tip-toed forward and pushed aside some leaves.

The panther stopped, and seemed to twitch all over. The body shimmied and shivered, the muscles rippling from head to foot. The ‘ripples’ became more and more distinct, and the cat seemed to melt or shift before his eyes. In the space of a few moments, the cat disappeared and Leto was there, upright. She was also…well, changing.

Brother Adam slowly took a step back and crept away. This was definitely not something Leto had mentioned earlier. He shook his head. This was also something that should be mentioned to the Higher Ups.

Leto snuck back into the CoStDa building. She didn’t really need to, but she also didn’t want to wake anyone up. She slid through the small window into the room she was borrowing from Brother Adam, got into a t-shirt, and went to bed.

Okay, so maybe this will satisfy some curiosity about the process of Leto's shapeshifting...
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: It's short cause I'm tired and don't want to bother... Reply with quote

Chapter 11: Time to Leave
The next morning

Leto was disassembling her camp-pack, airing things out and getting ready to clean others, when Brother Adam wandered in. He looked around. There was a small pile of dirty clothes, an unrolled sleeping bag, and what was obviously a sheathed (but wrapped in cloth) sword.

“You getting ready to leave?”

“Yes…if it is all right, is there somewhere I can wash these?” she pointed at the clothes and sleeping bag.

“Oh, yeah, we have some washing machines here. Just down the hall. Is that…?” He sat down in a bean-bag chair. Leto looked to where he pointed and winced a little. She’d left the sword lying out.

She wondered if she should’ve hid it. True, she’d developed a friendship with Brother Adam, one of her first, and she’d revealed almost her entire background. Leaving out, of course, where she was, shapeshifting, and the sword. There were somethings she just couldn’t tell, but the sword was already in plain view. She sighed, leaned over, and grabbed it.

“This is my blade…I hope you do not mind I have it here?” Leto slowly unsheathed the blade. “I should have told you sooner, I know. But it is very special, and I know most people are wary of those who carry weapons like this.”

Brother Adam could tell, even by looking at it. The blade appeared to be a variant on an Egyptian kopis- a medium sized blade, curved towards the hilt, but not as severely as a traditional kopis. The steel was a darker bluish-black, and the blade looked delicate and wickedly sharp. The hilt was a little different; it seemed to be carved from a single block of wood and looked like it had been blood-stained. The weapon had a kind of refined, deadly beauty to it, but he could sense a very frightening...something emanating from it.

Leto waved the blade around, letting the dawn light gleam along it’s surface. “I call it Estel.”

“By St. Dino, that’s a blade.” Adam watched as Leto slid Estel back into it’s sheath. He grinned. “Don’t worry about having a weapon around here. Some of the guys who come here to visit have stuff you wouldn’t believe.”

“Really?” She grinned back, and thought carefully. If this place was connected to the Jihad, maybe she could… “Where do they come from?”

“Oh, San Francisco, Berkeley University mostly. We get a few guys in from Blanca, CO, too.” Brother Adam started talking and then shut up. Okay, so maybe blurting out the location of the VRDET base wasn’t the wisest thing to do. But it appeared that Leto had no idea what he just said…

“Oh, that is nice. Here, would you help me with the laundry?”

She waved good-bye to the Brothers and Sisters of the CoStDa refuge as the truck pulled out of the driveway and went down the road. Leto stuck her head out the window and waved at Brother Adam, who raised a hand in farewell. When they faded from sight, Leto fell back in next to the Brother who was driving. She took out her 100 dollar bill headband and wrapped it around her forehead. The Brother smiled at her.

“Well, where do you wanna head? Do you have a place to stay?”

“No. I have been travelling.”

“Well, we got a place in the Haight, in SF. That’s where I’m headed now. Have to drop off, some, ah, stuff. It’s a hostel.” The Brother looked down , likely at something that was hidden underneath the seat. Leto grinned.

“Sounds like a plan.” She leaned back, put her feet up on the dash, and closed her eyes. Something was stirring, she could feel it.

She was getting closer.

Brother Adam leaned back and watched the email get sent off. Leto was a good person, and if he was right, a possible recruit. The small description he sent off to TRES might start the ball rolling.

And now for a TRES interlude Smile
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Intarlude. Or something. Reply with quote

Interlude, interlude. At TRES. Oh *shoot*, that's my job. And here I was happily reading along, not having to do any work...

Okay, so this is what happens when characters get to muttering in your head. Leto, if ye don't like this, yell at me on IRC or something, 'kay? Smile

Interlude
Delta Squadron Offices, TRES HQ, Colorado

On most days, Captain Richard Shelton, the executive officer of TRES Corps' intelligence arm, disliked his job. When he had been a lower-ranked officer, his job had consisted of finding intriguing patterns in the piles of data that were normally obscured from view. Sometimes, if he sifted well enough through the data, he learned things that others may prefer that he didn't know. It was these sorts of things that made him happiest.

Unfortunately for him, most of the duties of an executive officer in this intelligence agency was mostly running interference between his commanding officer and the rest of the squadron and other tedious mindnumbing tasks that an Ensign could do if they didn't involve budgets and other classified material. There were no intriguing patterns here.

Today, though. Today, Admiral Bond, his CO, was somewhere where he wasn't Shelton's worry, and he could sort through the pile of intel reports that was growing on his desk for his approval. It was a chance to read between the lines once again.

As the morning passed, Shelton started to become intrigued by a thread that seemed to connect through several reporting stations on the West Coast. It was plainly obvious, after reading the report from Lt. Commander Wen from the Vancouver Station about what (or more precisely, who) a couple of TRES personnel had spotted, that something was up. And other reports continued the thread: An interesting character spotted in the Portland area. A horribly spelled (probably written while nursing a hangover, Shelton decided) report from an officer who'd gone to a party somewhere outside of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Shelton frowned as the officer quite candidly admitted that perhaps they'd blown cover, but that would be handled later. Right now he was chasing a pattern.

There was another report from an Intel post in Chico. Shelton checked his atlas and saw that was in California. His thread was running down the West Coast, but why? What did it mean?

A voice came from behind him. "Is the ceiling more interesting than usual today?" Shelton turned to find Captain Miranda Delgado, the closest thing he had to a friend in Delta standing there. And perhaps it was quite fortitous that Delgado would show up just as he was about to call her over. He liked patterns, whereas she generally liked people and how they fit together. Their skills were complementary, and he needed somebody to check his conclusions.

But she dropped a stack of papers on his desk. "Just off the wires," she said. "Ensign Lewis has been busy."

"Lewis? Isn't he the one that Bond demoted for joining up with our cannabis loving friends?"

"If by that you mean St. Dino, yeah. That's Ensign Lewis. He's been hanging out at their place up along the coast somewhere -- Mendocino, I think, but it's been a while since I checked."

Shelton turned pages on the report, frowning as he read. "She's been looking for us the whole time," he said, with a bit of a tone of disbelief in his voice. "That's the common thread."

"It happens," Delgado said. "Besides, we don't necesarily have to reveal ourselves yet. We could let her keep looking."

Shelton shuffled through a few more pages. "I'd say she's ready to be recruited now, if what Ensign Lewis is telling us is correct. But you know Bond would have a fit with us passing this to Theta -- he does it with every one we find that doesn't fit his vision."

"We don't have to tell him."

"You remember what he did to Christof?" Delgado winced, and Shelton knew he'd made his point. "I say we keep watching her for the moment while I get Bond to pass on the list of recruits to Theta. He usually does it if I grumble at him enough, and better I be the lightning rod. He's not demoted me yet, has he?"

"He'd better not," Delgado said quietly. "No offense, Shelton, but I don't want the hot seat."

"Nobody does. That's why Bond won't get rid of me." Shelton laughed bitterly, and then signed the bottom of the report indicating he had seen it. He handed Delgado his thread of reports. "Make sure these get corrolated in as well. And make sure JPV's aware that blowing cover isn't a good thing. The names are all in Lieutenant Droscher's report."

Delgado smiled. "I'll get right on it."

Now back to your regularly scheduled story.

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"

Last edited by katster on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: I actually have to do something? Reply with quote

Damn. Didn't think you'd get it done so fast. Now I actually have to write stuff... Very Happy
Double Damn. You're a bloody good writer! Very Happy *loves the katster*

Cheers!

*goes off to doodle something in the Haight...*
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Her first fight Reply with quote

Chapter 12: The Haight
Music: Joy to the World, by Three Dog Night

Leto hopped off the truck when it made it’s delivery and looked around. “Um. Wow. Yes.” She shook her head and tried to orient herself as she looked around the area that was known as the Haight. She had the distinct feeling that her stay in Guerneville and the CoStDa refuge should’ve numbed her, or at least prepared her better, to the phenomenon that was California.

She shook of her sense of surrealism and entered the hostel. Inside, there was the same feel of geniality and welcome as the refuge in Sonoma County. Here too, Leto noticed, was the same lingering magic, one that was a little different from the usual sources she felt. She smiled at the girl behind the front desk, got a room, and went to settle in.

Leto was practically bouncing around the room as she stuffed her camp-pack in an available locker. She grabbed her wallet, stuck it in a pocket somewhere on her baggy pants, and decided to take a walk outside.

She was excited for a reason. There was a massive magic source nearby, and another one, less strong, not to far away either. The sheer amount of magic ‘floating’ around was so intense that she didn’t even have to go into a trance to detect it. There were little flashes everywhere, and certain areas, if Leto was looking at auras, were lit up like a psychedelic Christmas tree on an acid trip.

The locker door was almost shut, and Leto then debated bring Estel along. This was the first time she’d really wandered about without her camp-pack, where Estel was well hidden but still accessible. And it wasn’t a massive sword either, easy to carry around. Not that she was incapable of defending herself (hell, no, she muttered), but she had a connection to the blade, and for some reason, for the first time, Leto felt like it was *warning* her not to leave without it. In a kind of ‘I want to come so bring me or else’ kind of way.

She reached out a hand to grab the sheath and baldric, actually an old guitar strap Brother Adam had given her as a parting gift, then hesitated.

“Just a minute.” She shut the door, walked away, stepped outside, looked around, then nodded. She went back to the locker, opened it, and slung Estel on her back. “That,” she said, “should be no problem.”

She didn’t stick out.

Which would make this easy, the Wyrm Minion thought.

His eyes followed the girl amongst the throngs of general oddities that wandered around the area. Black tank-top with a ragged hem that had a picture of a tank on it, baggy khaki cargo pants belted snugly right below the belly button, sandals, longish black hair in a ponytail…and a baldric that had punk band names, anti-racism symbols, two small carved wooden things, and a British flag on it. With a sheathed sword attached.

He looked back at the small group of spongies sitting in the back of the van, all of whom were staring in rapt attention at ‘B’harnii and Friends’ being played on the van’s DVD player. Various weapons lay about. Drool was slowly pooling from the corner of several mouths.

The Minion shuddered briefly, muttering to himself. He lifted the binoculars, coloured nagenta, and returned to watching the girl. He’d been told that she was a ‘super-dee-duper’ asset, but was likely heading towards those not so ‘super’ Jihaddi.

“So I get to pick off some lone nobody. What fun.” The Wyrm Minion shook his head. This would be too easy, and a waste of his time. He then noted the girl turning a corner, so he put down the binoculars and started up the van.

The moment the van turned the corner after her, Leto knew she was being followed. She didn’t know why or who, but assumed it was the Jihaddi. She was wise enough to know that her confession to Brother Adam had likely been reported. She didn’t mind, though, since that was her intent. She ignored the van, which was pushing slowly through traffic after her.

Leto looked about, at street vendors and store windows. Her pace slowed, then stopped as she walked by an electronics store. There, in the large display window, were a series of TV’s, all on the same station. They showed tanks rumbling over the ground, in strange city streets, old war footage, obviously. Then there were a few scenes of tanks in battle. Leto, at this point, had her hands on the glass and was staring at the TV screens with all the rapt attention of a kid staring at new toys. She was practically pressing her nose to the glass.

“Mmmm, tanks.” There was a muffled boom and a puff of smoke as one of the old tanks on the TV fired, and she smiled in pure happiness. “Mmmm, big boom.”

The Wyrm Minion pulled the van into a parking space a few spots down from where the girl was standing, staring at some TV’s in a shop window. He cursed softly, since if he’d been able to park closer, they would’ve been able to merely jump out and pull the girl in. But with her distracted like this, they had to take what they could and try to drag her a few more feet.

“Hey, you! Hey, pay attention! HEY!!!” The spongies, entranced by the Evil Purple It prancing (sic) on screen, paid him no attention. The Wyrm Minion growled, turned around, and slapped the stop button. There was an immediate and irriating whine.

“Hey, whyyyy’d you do that!”

“Shut up, Timmy! Now get your crap together and bring that girl over here. Be quick!”

“Hey, you said a bad word! Barney says that we shouldn’t do…” the spongie was now staring down the barrel of a gun. It’s eyes went wide.

“Listen, you little twerp, get out there before I make you get out. Please.” The Wyrm Minion grated. The assembled spongies grumbled, but gathered their weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Writing Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: