Don't want to get you into legal trouble but..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Don't want to get you into legal trouble but.. Reply with quote

Is the word 'Lyran; based on Lyons Partnership, the company that created and produced (or produces) Barney's show in the real world?

I know that if this is revealed to be true, you guys might get in trouble, so I includeda warning in the topic line just to be safe. If it is VERY secret, then you can just send a private message.

Cheers
Patrick.

PS: Happy St Paddys Day Very Happy
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to get you into legal trouble but.. Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
Is the word 'Lyran; based on Lyons Partnership, the company that created and produced (or produces) Barney's show in the real world?

I know that if this is revealed to be true, you guys might get in trouble, so I includeda warning in the topic line just to be safe. If it is VERY secret, then you can just send a private message.

Yes, Patrick, the name of the Lyrans is originally supposed to be a play of the Lyons Corporation. What's more, the name of the High Mage is a play on the name of the head of the corporation at the time.

But two things help us here. One, it's *parody*. If you want, I can get our proto-lawyer on here to discuss the law (and I'm sure he'd be willing to do that), but we've been through the whole Lyons/Lyrick trying to sue our asses before. We're still here, partially because we know the law backwards and forwards. Hence the copyright notification on the archives page.

Two, while the Lyrans were originally a play on that name, they have had a lot of work done to them pulling them away from that origin, and now it acts as a mere coincidence. Things have to have names. We stuck with the original name given to them as we've branched off into making them more three dimensional.

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Don't want to get you into legal trouble but.. Reply with quote

katster wrote:
But two things help us here. One, it's *parody*. If you want, I can get our proto-lawyer on here to discuss the law (and I'm sure he'd be willing to do that), but we've been through the whole Lyons/Lyrick trying to sue our asses before. We're still here, partially because we know the law backwards and forwards. Hence the copyright notification on the archives page.

Two, while the Lyrans were originally a play on that name, they have had a lot of work done to them pulling them away from that origin, and now it acts as a mere coincidence. Things have to have names. We stuck with the original name given to them as we've branched off into making them more three dimensional.

-kat

Fair Use has a posse, and it goes NYAR!
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't want to get you into legal trouble but.. Reply with quote

Aris_TGD wrote:

Fair Use has a posse, and it goes NYAR!

Ha! I love it! NYAR!!! indeed! *writes it up on her 'favourite quotes' board*

Leto

“You killed him, didn’t you? That’s why they get so annoyed! When they ask you to bring someone back they don’t mean as a corpse.” -Carl the Friar, ‘Vanhelsing’
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: