Leto's Introduction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Leto's Introduction Reply with quote

The Start of it all....

Katze poked her head around the doorframe to Mal's office. "You wanted to see me?" she asked.
Mal simply pointed to a paper he had left on the desk. Katze picked it up and read it, after noting that Mal had somehow gotten his hands on a Delta dossier. It was better not to ask the old man where he'd gotten it. He probably wouldn't tell her, and even if he had, it was both something she'd rather not know even if he'd tell her and something she'd have to report to her TRES superiors if she did know. She concluded that it was wise to pretend Mal had gotten the dossier through normal channels.
Besides, it was the contents that were more interesting than the ethical dilemmas anyway. She frowned a bit more. "Interesting. Definitely JPV material, but you probably noticed that right away too." Mal nodded and Katze continued. "That said, she needs another JAO -- that's the way the JPV works -- and VR is probably better than TRES for her."
"That's about what I thought," Mal said. He turned back to his computers, and then looked up. "And she's probably better suited for Explorations."
"Yeah. Looks like I have something to do this afternoon. Do you have a copy of this?" Mal motioned for her to keep the copy she was holding. Katze took it, frowned at the text again, and blinked as she saw something that she'd missed in the first readover. "Just what the hell is it about Berkeley anyway?"

Katze sat on a bench not far from where the potential recruit lived, keeping a doorway in sight as she tried to figure out how to go about the usually tricky task of recruiting for a secret organization. It was a task that required an unusual amount of subtlety, and Katze was only nodding acquanitances with subtle. "Would that Delgado were here, she'd know what to do" Katze muttered to herself.
But Delgado wasn't here, and Katze was going to have to figure out yet another approach. It wasn't that she'd never been out recruiting before, it's just the time and place and the subject all called for novel approaches to the problem.
She looked at the slip of paper with an address and came up with a bright idea. A few minutes later, she had come up with a clipboard and was knocking on the door to an apartment number she had been handed. The door opened. Katze started in on her spiel. "Hi, I'm with the Whitman Research Group, and we're going house to house today inquiring about people's views on children's television. May I come in and conduct this survey with you?"

Leto Bucher was steadily chewing on a pizza when someone knocked on the door. She put the slice down.
"Interesting...all the thing's I studied and not one book mentioned pizza...who's this?"
She wasn't indifferent- she was careful. Maintaining a casual pose, she drew her sword and leaned it next to the doorframe. She looked through the eyehole, then opened the door a ways and looked warily at the smiling woman who was standing there, holding a clipboard.
"Hi, I'm with the Whitman Research Group, and we're going house to house today inquiring about people's views on children's television. May I come in and conduct this survey with you?"
"Hmm." Leto tensed momentarily, her hand reaching past the doorframe, where the woman couldn't see it, and carefully grasped the hilt of her sword. "I do not normally let strangers just walk into my home." She wondered if this had anything to do with her 'search'. She didn't know- despite her studies of human society, there were still many things that were strange to her, and she had no idea how this 'Jihad' might come to her. But surveys... she'd heard her neighbours complaining about them, so they must be a normal occurance. "But this seems like an interesting question. Please, enter."
Leto released the hold on her sword and let the woman enter. She felt magic, yes, but nothing...wrong. She began to relax a little. The woman began to turn as Leto shut the door.
"Nice place you have here! Ah, well, I guess I should ask some questions now." Her smile slipped a bit when she noticed Leto picking up the sword that had been leaning up against the wall by the door. Leto spoke without turning around
"Please do. Have a seat, if you wish."
She looked at her blade, then sheathed it, walked over to the couch, and rested it against the arm. The woman took a seat, and Leto did likewise.

Katze gulped to herself as she saw her subject picking up a blade. She fought the instict that was screaming at her to pull her own, took a deep breath, and stared at the blank page on her clipboard. She'd really hoped that the bluff would have worked better, but she was in, wasn't she?
She sat down on the couch, still nervous. Such was the nodding acquiantance with subtlety -- you try too hard, and they think you're on the side of the devil and not the angels. It was a common problem. Katze looked down at her blank clipboard. "I have to start with some demographics," she said, carefully sliding a pen out of her pocket. "Name, age, ethnicity, all that usual boring stuff."
Leto answered the demographics, and Katze pretended to write them down, nodding to herself that she had the right person. Part of her brain was still busy contemplating the angles and obstacles of possible combat manuvers, a second part of her brain was pointing out that it was unlikely to come to that given that fact this person was pre-disposed to the Jihad's side of the war and breaking secrecy wouldn't be a killer problem, and a third part was trying to remember random kids' shows in order to ask the questions. It didn't help that she probably looked rather nervous to the person she was asking all her questions. Hopefully, it'd all be chalked up to some young college-aged student who was out on her first job. For once, it was good to be mistaken as the young college student she'd once been.
It went on like this for a good five minutes before Katze decided it was time to ask the million dollar question. She stared down at her clipboard again, looked up, and said "Do you know of the show 'Barney and Friends', and if you do, how do you feel about it?"
And she waited for the response...

Leto crossed her arms as the young woman (she looked to be close to her own age) began asking questions. She gave short, quiet answers to the first questions. As the woman looked down at her clipboard, Leto quirked an eyebrow. She seemed nervous for some reason. She looked over at her sword, resting on couch.

Ah. Maybe that was it. If, and IF, this girl was Jihaddi, maybe they weren't used to such things. Leto had heard they were technologically advanced, so maybe they didn't use...ahha, there it was. She smiled to herself when she noticed the hidden outline of the young woman's weapon. For some reason, this made her lose most of her earlier wariness. The spongies she had encountered before never carried such weapons. Her arms uncrossed and rested easily at her side.

"Do you know of the show 'Barney and Friends', and if you do, how do you feel about it?"

Leto snapped back into attention with the question. She tensed for a micro-second at the name, then settled back again. She'd already put the girl on edge enough- she didn't want to be the cause of further alarm. But still... she ignored the question for the moment.

"You seem nervous, miss."

"Do I?"

"Yes." Leto gave what she hoped was a disarming smile. She felt that it was probably more of a 'bared-teeth' grin. "Please, I am very sorry if my weapon has startled you. I... have an interest in such things. I do not mean anything by it, I promise you. You need not fear me."

The woman gave her a strange look, but seemed to quiet herself.

"As to your question.. yes, I have seen that show. And I do not approve of it. I do not understand it very well- I am unused to TV- but I know wrongness when I see it. Great wrongness. Nothing that is present here, now." Her accent was thickening, her rage growing. It showed in her posture, and she was sure, in her aura. "You may think me...extreme for my thoughts on this, but I would like nothing more than this..."
she spoke some Melorian curses, there were no words she knew in English that could describe what she was feeling. "....to be taken off the air. If not, I would like to take 'action' against that Thing myself." She had to take a few deep breaths to calm down when she was done.

The young woman looked surprised, but serious. Leto then knew that if she had been a normal, college kid, she would've looked like 'are you insane or on drugs?'. She looked down at her clipboard for a moment, then up again. Leto nodded at her expression. She spoke once more.

"I think you can put the clipboard down. You are Jihaddi, yes?" Leto's eyes lit up with laughter at the girl's startled expression.

Katze looked down at her blank sheet on the clipboard, listening to what the girl had to say. None of it was really surprising -- she'd heard variants of it going all the way back to her own recruitment, and her own voice answering the same question. However, the intensity of the anger seemed to surprise Katze. It was almost like asking a Phoenix combat's veteran's opinion of the alien race that had helped B'harnee in that combat.
That surprise must have been evident on her face, because in the next moment, the girl pegged her. "You are Jihaddi, yes?"
Katze blinked, unsure how to answer such a direct question. Finally, she laughed. "Yeah. I am. What gave you the first clue?" She shook her head, put the clipboard on the couch next to her, and shook her head. "I suppose I ought to introduce myself. My name is Katze Brenner, and I'm, well, actually, as funny as it sounds, here to talk with you about possibly joining our merry band. But I guess, for formality's sake, I ought to ask if you have any questions first."

"Questions? No, not really." Leto sat back on the couch. The tension in the room had relaxed with Katze Brenner's admission. She finally was able to study her obviously. "Please forgive me for my manners of earlier. But, I am nervous when I meet new people." She leaned forward, her eyes openly scanning Katze, head to toe, taking in her features...watching. Katze looked back. Leto smiled, Katze's features now locked in her memory "Sorry, force of habit. So you want to talk me into joining you?" Leto's eyes laughed again. "Or do you have more 'real' questions for me?"
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Who would win a drinking contest- Pupp or Leto? Reply with quote

This is just a little aside story, not part of the main intro thing we got going.

Just a little background info... the booze on Meloria, where Leto was raised, is somewhat stronger, generally, then Earth's alcohol. Leto has a much higher tolerance for alcohol, therefor, then most humans. (I was going to include that as trait/power, but I don't know if it's legit. But knowing JPV, it'd probably make it on their dossier anyways Twisted Evil )

Leto gave a look of disdain at the bottle that Pupp slammed down during a JPV St.Patrick's day party. Party members began to gather 'round as the two faced each other over a small table, a row of shot glasses in front of each.
"This, oh subordinate, is called 'whiskey'."
"Looks like weak tea to me, sir." she leaned forward, placed her hands on the table, and spoke very slowly. "I can out drink you easier than a Maenad can kill a sponge minion."

The assembled crowd gave a loud 'oooooh!' of mixed fear and awe. Several people began edging towards the door- a mage duel is bad enough, but a mage drinking duel?!

YES, OH PUPPETMASTER, THIS IS A CHALLENGE!!!! DO YOU ACCEPT???

Everyone else, who do you think will win?

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Slainte!
Leto
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shadur
Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who would win a drinking contest- Pupp or Leto? Reply with quote

Elena, aka Leto Bucher wrote:
This is just a little aside story, not part of the main intro thing we got going.

Just a little background info... the booze on Meloria, where Leto was raised, is somewhat stronger, generally, then Earth's alcohol. Leto has a much higher tolerance for alcohol, therefor, then most humans. (I was going to include that as trait/power, but I don't know if it's legit. But knowing JPV, it'd probably make it on their dossier anyways :twisted: )

I think Alcohol Tolerance is a legit GURPS advantage. I'd have to look it up.

Elena wrote:

The assembled crowd gave a loud 'oooooh!' of mixed fear and awe. Several people began edging towards the door- a mage duel is bad enough, but a mage drinking duel?!

YES, OH PUPPETMASTER, THIS IS A CHALLENGE!!!! DO YOU ACCEPT???

Everyone else, who do you think will win?

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Slainte!
Leto

Just as long as the aftermath doesn't result in something like the Kamikaze Ninja Chicken Incident. Two of the Liasons that were on cover-up detail are still in therapy...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Writing Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: