Audition...but just a character profile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Audition...but just a character profile Reply with quote

If this is too long, I'm really sorry! I'm just not sure how long it should be...oh man, I'm so nervous about this *butterflys in stomach* Embarassed

Applicant's Name: Regina Bucher (pronounced boo-shay)
Alias: Leto- she’s never actually called by her first name. In fact, only a few people know what it is (by her preference)
Sex: Female
JAO(S): none as of yet
Descent: Father was a Cajun/Creole out of Louisiana, Mother was Native, of the Haida tribe in B.C., Canada. Both died not long after Leto was born.
Race: Human, for the most part. And even she doesn’t know what the few pecularities in her DNA are.
General Appearance: Average height, 5’ 6”, and somewhat petite build, about 125-30 pounds. Dusky skin, long jet black hair, black eyes, very much Native American in looks.
Her preference in dress is anything that’s practical but not too bright in colour. She has a remarkable affinity for t-shirts with sleeves ripped off and jeans, shorts and a tank-top if it’s warm. On the whole, she likes the typical grunge/punk look.

Personality: Stubborn as hell, insubordinate, and comes with a pre-packaged, morbid sense of humour. But very loyal- she might grumble a little when given orders, but will carry them out to the best of her ability. She is very bright, and shows a degree of cunning that would frighten even a mad scientist. She is also secretive about her background, to say the least.

Personal History: Was born ‘apparently’ normal to a couple of college kids, who were attending Berkely Univeristy, California at the time, around 1984 or ’85. Her father, John Bucher, and mother, Marie Sunhouse, both died in a somewhat suspicicious car crash not long after Leto was born. Oddly enough, there had been reports of increased spongin activity in the area, and Leto suspects they might have been trying to ‘get’ her, though for what reasons she won’t say. She survived, and mysteriously disappeared from the car wreck.
Leto refuses to say who took her or why, or what happened in the years she was gone. All she will concede is that the ones who raised her rescued her from B’harnii’s minions, and then sent her back when she had ‘come of age’. Any further questioning about her childhood is refuted with, “Piss off, it’s none of your business.”
When asked how she came to know about the Jihad, she responds with a grim expression and says she had a ‘bad experience’ with B’harnate minions when she first arrived on Earth. It’s assumed that it was very serious, since her physical turned up some nasty electrical burn scars around her legs.

Weapon/combat proficiencies: She can fire a gun like most people, but prefers to stay away from modern weaponry, for the most part (she does so love tanks!). She shows a fair aptitude for swordsmanship, and her personal weapon is a traditional long sword that, she says, appeared out of nowhere. She is tight-lipped on the circumstances that surround the arrival of the sword. The sword is definitely magical in nature, though it’s powers or effects are remain to be seen.
Magical Stuff: Leto shows a definite affinity for magic. She can sense magical auras, items, or if magic is being performed, almost like a magic ‘hound dog’. For the most part, however, she is a shapeshifter, able to transform at will into a black panther, and possibly other animals. She says she cannot transform into anything ‘dead’ or inorganic, and higher forms of life, humans, etc, are beyond her ability. She prefers to fight in panther form, as it has several advantages over her human form (improved sight, hearing, smell, speed), and is quite proficient in that regard.

Analysis: There is, obviously, something unusual and quite enigmatic about Ms. Bucher. Normal humans don’t often get abducted by strange, mysterious races or become sought after by B’harnii’s forces. There is her inherent magical ability and shapeshifting, though what was inherent and what was learned in her years off-Earth remains to be seen, as she refuses to divulge any information about the race that raised her. Whether she is worthy of recruitment or not is undecided.
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink

Last edited by Elena, aka Leto Bucher on Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Audition...but just a character profile Reply with quote

Elena, aka Leto Bucher wrote:
If this is too long, I'm really sorry! I'm just not sure how long it should be...oh man, I'm so nervous about this *butterflys in stomach*

Hey, it only has to be as long as it needs to be. And remember, no matter where you go, there you are. Wink

Here's a quibble with timing:

Quote:

(snip)

Personal History: Was born ‘apparently’ normal to a couple of college kids, who were attending Berkely Univeristy, California at the time, around 1984 or ’85.

Remember, the default JU2 setting time is the late spring of 1999. Unless you're planning something exceptionally devious, this would make Leto closer to 14-15 when she's picked up on the Jihaddi radar. Now, that's not that improbable an age for a Jihaddi - see the example of Dee Greist (p. 94 of the JU2 RPG) and hell, heroines of that age have kept Japanese animation studios afloat for decades now. Wink But there is a timing gap there that needs to be addressed.

Moving along those lines....

Quote:

(snip)

She survived, and mysteriously disappeared from the car wreck.
Leto refuses to say who took her or why, or what happened in the years she was gone. All she will concede is that the ones who raised her rescued her from B’harnii’s minions, and then sent her back when she had ‘come of age’. Any further questioning about her childhood is refuted with, “Piss off, it’s none of your business.”

I get the impression that you're trying to write this profile along IC lines - that is, this is more of a Jihad dossier than a player's character sheet. While that's all well and good, when you're auditioning it's a good idea to get down the all of the character history you can. Profiles like this are documents we use in order to get a handle on how to write the character, so they need to be written from an OOC point of view and cover stuff that the Jihad (or even Leto) doesn't know about her history or her abilities.

In this case, the questions are:

Where was Leto taken after the wreck?
Who rescued her?
What exactly did happen to her?
Why was she sent back?

Quote:
Weapon/combat proficiencies: She can fire a gun like most people, but prefers to stay away from modern weaponry, for the most part (she does so love tanks!). She shows a fair aptitude for swordsmanship, and her personal weapon is a traditional long sword that, she says, appeared out of nowhere. She is tight-lipped on the circumstances that surround the arrival of the sword. The sword is definitely magical in nature, though it’s powers or effects are remain to be seen.

Magical Stuff: Leto shows a definite affinity for magic. She can sense magical auras, items, or if magic is being performed, almost like a magic ‘hound dog’. For the most part, however, she is a shapeshifter, able to transform at will into a black panther, and possibly other animals. She says she cannot transform into anything ‘dead’ or inorganic, and higher forms of life, humans, etc, are beyond her ability. She prefers to fight in panther form, as it has several advantages over her human form (improved sight, hearing, smell, speed), and is quite proficient in that regard.

I like the set of abilities here. Again, you've gotta watch out for the enigmatic stuff (like what exactly is the sword, and where did she get it?), but otherwise it looks good. And I must admit, I'm curious as to what panther-fu looks like. Wink

Quote:
Analysis: There is, obviously, something unusual and quite enigmatic about Ms. Bucher. Normal humans don’t often get abducted by strange, mysterious races or become sought after by B’harnii’s forces. There is her inherent magical ability and shapeshifting, though what was inherent and what was learned in her years off-Earth remains to be seen, as she refuses to divulge any information about the race that raised her. Whether she is worthy of recruitment or not is undecided.

In terms of that final IC analysis, I'll let my character speak for me:

------
To: pupp@jpv.jihad.net
Subject: N00b on the prowl
Date: 05/01/1999

Pupp:

Look at this TRES Delta report I'm forwarding. (And no, don't ask how I got it.) You'd have to be an idiot to pass this one up. Hurry man, before the Corps gets their claws on her.

--Mal

-------

Now, to wrap this up OOCly... Overall, this isn't a bad first draft of a character at all. Most of the rough spots can be fixed up pretty easily by just explaining what really happened to Leto during her missing time. I like the general concept of the character, there isn't anything there that gives off the odor of Munchkin, and I think there's definate potential there.

Back over to you now.
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: okay, some background stuff Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't quite sure what format to follow for the 'audition', and the dossier form seemed to be the most comprehensive. But here's the additional details that might be missing- I've written as a diary entry or something along those lines. Oh, as to the timeline, I do want her to be 19, so I guess she was born in 1980. And I don't really think she does 'panther-fu', it's more of a slash-cut-bite-death, jump on top of a spongie and chew on him thing.
Again, I apologize if it's too long. maybe too much background info?

May, 1999
What happened to me?
As to that, I'm not sure. Some people are just born with gifts, whether or not they want them. I WAS born to human parents, so I don't know how my magical abilities came about. Fate? Destiny? Or is that too cheesy? Either way, I don't think they're worth the cost I've paid- both my parents were killed so B'harnii's minions could get their paws on me. I can't remember it, as I wasn't even a year old, but I was told what happened. There was a car wreck (deliberate), and the weirdest thing was, I didn't have a scratch on me. There we were, back roads of California, going on my first camping trip, and I was sitting in my baby seat in the back, screaming my head off.
Then they came.
They were aliens, but not in the sense that they arrived from another planet. They were from another dimension. We...they call themselves Melorians- and they are explorers. The whole culture revolves around exploration and observation, they love to search and learn and watch. It's all very benelovent- they have no interest in conquest or control. They bear a fair resemblance to humans, could almost pass for them, aside from the webbed hands and feet and hair that tends towards blue and green. They told me they had once been a purely aquatic race, but evolution and time had changed that. Aside from their love of knowledge, they also have a deep interest in magic, and many of their mages are the most powerful I've ever seen. These mages helped develop my own inborn skill, helped me discover the odd talent of shapeshifting I apprently have, through rigid and incredibly difficult training. At times I'm surprised I even survived it.
They are technologically advanced (obviously) and have developed devices that allow them to travel LITERALLY anywhere, anytime, anyplace. About that, I don't know much- my focus was in magic, and I've never like all the high-tech stuff, anyways. besides, it takes more years than a human has to learn and study all you need to know to be able to run and work with the transportation devices, that much I know.
They've well developed warrior skills and defenses- they've had to defend the Homeworld more than once. Most of it is, again, technologically advanced and I just wasn't interested. But the hand-to-hand combat skills are taught as well, as there are more than one race living on the Homeworld. They fight each other off and on, but always band together for any common threats. The other races I only know by name- the Grendels and Tal'aska. I was taught a form of swordsmanship- but their hand weapons are unwieldly for a human girl, and it was found I was much more dangerous in panther form- they taught me much about my birthhome, including animals. And it makes sense; several hundred pounds of giant cat, followed up by razor-sharp claws and teeth make for a formidable warrior. Hee-hee...I can still remember the looks on those Grendels' faces...Yes, there were a few minor skirmishes while I lived there. Even though I was not born Melorian, and don't really like their policy of 'watching' things, I still fought MY people when I was asked. And quite frankly, I don't mind a good fight.
The reason why the Melorians resuced me is...complex. A simpler version is that they saw me, sensed I was a creature with great potential, and that I was in danger from something that as Not Good. The sponge minions were already swarming the car by the time they arrived. They also saw it as their duty, even though they try not to interfere with 'observed' races, to train someone with my skills properly. So, they kicked the sh** out of the spongies, who fled, grabbed me, and took off back to their home dimension. Now, they are aware of the Hidden War, but it isn't of great concern to them. They find it fascinating, to be sure, but as there is very little chance of it spilling into their home dimension, they never really told me more beyond that there was a secret war on Earth between a demon named B'harnii and some other group.
I'm thinking now they were a bit worried that whatever had killed my parents to get to me, might follow me into their dimension. And I'm sure that discussion arose at some point. But my adoptive parents, Jaela and Kittim, told me that I needed to go home someday, likely when I came of age, because that's where I was born and I needed to be among my own people. When they thought I had learned enough skills in magic and combat to stay alive, to defend myself should I be 'sought after' again, they sent me back to Earth, when I was 18. I also had to make a vow- I could never tell who had rescued me or where I'd gone, because as 'observers' the Melorians didn't think the Earth-folk would appreciate being studied like lab-animals (They also have a tendency to be somewhat...quiet and reserved)
One thing I still don't know how they managed is my idenity. When I arrived, I had a social isurance number, a birth certificate, american and canadian citizenship, and even a bank account with a large amount of money in it- everything I needed to be a 'normal' part of society. It was a bit bewildering at first, being alone on a new world, but I'd been well taught about Earth society, and even taught English, so I managed. There were a few akward moments (I am NOT going into details) but eventually I settled down, got a little cottage near a small town, and started working for a nearby farmer.
How'd it all go to pot, as they say?
B'harnii never forgets, I realized. Despite the fact I had been safely whisked away as a baby, the moment I came back I was recognized and tailed. A bunch of people showed up at my doorstep, and BANG! All I remember is someone spraying something in my face, knockout gas of some sort, and then I passed out. I still get pissed when I remember how easy it was for them to take me- I should've been more careful. I woke up in a strange room, cement walls, and then someone asked me if I would join Lord B'harnii. Here's what happened:
"Won't you accept his Luv?"
"Is he the one that brought me to this *unintelligble alien cursing* place?"
"Um...yeah."
"Then tell him to *more cursing* off!"
Maybe I could have handled it better.
I spent three weeks in that hellhole, as best as I know. I won't go into details, but they basically tortured me, trying to break me. It only got me more mad. One day I heard my guards talking about something called the 'Jihad' a 'nasty, meanie' bunch of people that fought Lord B'harnii.
It gave me hope.
The next day I feigned defeat, and told them I would join them. They were overjoyed, and brought me to a locker room to change, get cleaned up, and then meet with 'the boss' who ran the place. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I washed, changed, then smashed a chair and killed spongies when they came back with the sharp fragments. I could've shapechanged, but I was weak and in bad condition, and I just couldn't get the energy to do it. I dressed in one of the guard's clothes, went to see 'the boss', one of B'harnii's minions that wasn't so stupid. Dumb enough, though- he didn't even look up when I entered the room, and seemed very surprised when I jammed a piece of wood through his chest. I left, locked the door, and got out as quickly as possible.
I ran, and collapsed in a nearby wood. It was a combination of shock, stress, and as I lay in the snow (it was december '98, somewhere in BC Rockies), hypothermia began to kick in. I should have died, I know, but when I woke up the next morning, I was warm, lying in a dry patch, and there was this sword gripped in my left hand.
The only thing that had been in my hand was the wooden stake I used to kill sponges before.
It was strange, it was freaky, and I had never seen anything like it happen, with all my expiriences with magic. The sword fit perfectly, well balanced, and razor sharp. As I looked closer, I saw that the hilt was made of the wood I'd used to kill, but now it was much harder and sturdier.
I didn't complain. My hatred of the Dark Wyrm hand grown with each step as I fled the compound, reaching a point where I gripped the wood fragment so tightly my own blood seeped through. I had fallen with that burning hatred in my heart, and I think it is THAT which sustained me, kept me alive, gave me this sword.
I now have to find out who, what, or where this 'Jihad' is.
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: okay, some background stuff Reply with quote

Again, I apologize if it's too long. maybe too much background info?

Hi. Smile

I think the first thing to say here is that there's no such thing as too much background information. Because, if there is, I'd probably be in trouble with some of the stuff I've doodled or have in the pipeline for a certain character of mine. Wink

As for length, don't sweat it. You're a newbie! And you're interesting! And you're interested in what we're doing! I think at this point you could foist a few meg on us and we'd read it avidly. (Okay, so maybe some of that is a bit of hyperbolic exaggeration, but the truth is, we're thrilled to have somebody who wants to participate and isn't a half-bad writer.) Wink

I'm sure Mal will have more to say in his own fashion, but I just had to chime in with those two thoughts. Hopefully they'll help.

And yeah, I've been enjoying what you have to contribute so far.

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Thanx! Reply with quote

Sigh...everytime I submit something, I always see something that I could've changed. Ah, weel...
Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement! Very Happy I gotta say, this is pretty cool.
(sorry, random thought) movies to watch- 'Grind' is a good one. Much funniness. Wink

Cheers!

ps- how does one put a picture up of themselves (or a reasonable fascimile to that effect)?
[/img]
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thanx! Reply with quote

Sigh...everytime I submit something, I always see something that I could've changed. Ah, weel...

Indeed. Sometimes you let it lie, other times the urge to improve what you've already written gnaws on your cortex until you can't stand it anymore. Wink

As for the background information... now this is nice. There's still some vague spots, but for the most part it's nothing that I'd be jumping up and down demanding clarification for. The narrative gives us a much clearer look at who Leto is and where she came from. Still a little vague as to what she is and why the Wyrm wants her so badly, but that's minor compared to the enigmatic for the sake of enigmatic stuff in the first dossier.

In particular I rather liked this sentence: "We...they call themselves Melorians- and they are explorers." It's very telling. I like that. Wink

Minor note: In phpbb you have to remember to set up a blank space between paragraphs when cutting & pasting stuff in, otherwise it can get kinda jumbled.

All in all, this is a much better second pass on the character concept. I think there's some leeway for some straight OOC information, just to clear up the points I mentioned above, and as kat said, there's never a thing as too much backstory -as long as it doesn't start choking the frontstory, anyway.

Quote:
ps- how does one put a picture up of themselves (or a reasonable fascimile to that effect)?
[/img]

You mean avatars or as imgae code? Image code is theoretically the [img] tag, but I've never seen it work on this board. If you want to set up an avatar, go to your user profile and scroll down to the very bottom.
--Deadpool #68
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Fine tuning it... Reply with quote

This may seem like a silly question, but what is OOC information?

Now that question is out of the way... I'm thinking that the Wyrm IS interested in Leto, but probably not as much as I imply. The only reason why he's showing any interest is because of her peculiar 'magic hound' abilities- you gotta admit, anyone who can sense magic so easily would likely be an very useful asset. Very Happy

As to WHAT she is... I would say even she doesn't know exactly. But for clarification, here's an idea.

In another age, as her parents were Native Americans (albeit from different areas) she'd probably be a shaman or medicene woman of her tribe. In the past, these people were recognized for their gifts and raised to develop them properly, to serve the tribe and do whatever shamans did. Each shaman/medicene man/woman was BORN with these gifts. However, many tribes lost their 'spiritual' side with the introduction of the modern world, and the shamans stopped being born as the People lost touch with their roots and their land. For some strange reason, perhaps because her parents were trying to get back to their lost roots, Leto was born a with shamanistic powers, the first one born in an age.

This would help explain how Leto can shapeshift in animal form (Native Americans have plenty of legends where this happens) and her ability to use/sense magic. I'm thinking, then, if Leto has 'shaman' roots, any magic she did use would be of an earthy or elemental kind. Hopefully this'll clear up some more details.

Slainte! (cheers in Gaelic) and thanks for the feedback!

ps- What is the origins of the word 'sneck'?

(Note to self...what IS a woman of native descent doing with a magical long sword? Gotta love fantasy... Wink )
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning it... Reply with quote

This may seem like a silly question, but what is OOC information?

Out Of Character information - stuff that us as writers know about the character or the gameworld in general, but the characters don't necessarily know.

Quote:
Now that question is out of the way... I'm thinking that the Wyrm IS interested in Leto, but probably not as much as I imply. The only reason why he's showing any interest is because of her peculiar 'magic hound' abilities- you gotta admit, anyone who can sense magic so easily would likely be an very useful asset. Very Happy

True dat, although it's not likely that it would be such a valuable asset to go after Leto when she's just a baby...

Quote:
As to WHAT she is... I would say even she doesn't know exactly. But for clarification, here's an idea.

(snip)

I like it. We don't have a lot of shamanistic stuff in the JU at the moment, mostly Western hermetic-style magecraft with the occasional bit of total weirdness thrown in for flavor. And it makes sense, considering Leto's ethnic origins.

Quote:

It's onomotopeia (or something along those lines; I know the term but I can't spell it... bloody Greek) - that is, sort of translating a sound effect. "Sneck" (IIRC) is a modification of "snik," which is what Wolverine's claws do when they come out. Wink There's also *snrk*, which is what you do when you find something very funny but don't want to let your boss know you're surfing the web on company time. Wink

Though of course I could be wrong. Sounds like a Windiism, whatever it is.

Quote:
(Note to self...what IS a woman of native descent doing with a magical long sword? Gotta love fantasy... Wink )

Hey, you could always make it an atlatl. Okay, it's still not quite right, but at least it's on the right continent... Wink
--Deadpool #68
Pupp
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Audition...but just a character profile Reply with quote

Quote:

------
To: pupp@jpv.jihad.net
Subject: N00b on the prowl
Date: 05/01/1999

Pupp:

Look at this TRES Delta report I'm forwarding. (And no, don't ask how I got it.) You'd have to be an idiot to pass this one up. Hurry man, before the Corps gets their claws on her.

--Mal

-------

To: mal@alumni.vrdet.net
Subject: RE: N00b on the prowl
Date: 05/08/1999

Mal,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya. One of our current class of n00bs took out the "freshman" wing last week with a rogue fireball and most of the faculty's been trying to put Humpty back together again.

Anyway, yeah, I think we'll try to track this one down. We don't have much Shamanistic expertise at the Prax at the moment, but some guidance is better than none, i've always thought. I'm gonna go ahead and push this file to Prax recruiting, and probably make a personal visit.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Pupp

---
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Further mods Reply with quote

Okay, so maybe B'harnii isn't really actively seeking Leto out, but it is a mild interest thing. Besides, if he was able to snag her when she was a baby, he would've be able to mold and conform her to 'dark side' right from and early age. After the torture/capture incident, they realized that it was just too much trouble to go after someone who wasn't *entirely* important or super-skilled. She's rare, very rare, but not the most powerful magic-user out there.

Oh, here's something you might find interesting... just one of my theories on magic.

All types, forms, and other personifications of magic can be put into two groups- limited and unlimited source. The greater part of various magics fall into the ‘limited’ category- that is, they can only be performed with spells, incantations, hand gestures, wands, or other paraphernalia. The strength of spell can depend on the caster, the caster’s skill, any power inherent in the area. Even the simplest spells take a toll on the caster, and if the spell is large or complex enough, it can drain the caster and prevent them from casting any more spells for a certain period of time. Basically, limited magic is any kind of magic that comes at a cost, the price being either strength, skill, objects or location.

Slainte! (only 2 more sleeps till St. Pat's Day!) Very Happy
KillJoy
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal-3 wrote:

It's onomotopeia (or something along those lines; I know the term but I can't spell it... bloody Greek) - that is, sort of translating a sound effect. "Sneck" (IIRC) is a modification of "snik," which is what Wolverine's claws do when they come out. Wink There's also *snrk*, which is what you do when you find something very funny but don't want to let your boss know you're surfing the web on company time. Wink

Though of course I could be wrong. Sounds like a Windiism, whatever it is.

Well, the old term is a door latch, but according to various online dictionary things, it's also the sound of removing irrelevant newsgroups from the header of a usenet followup. Also reference http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/sneck_lifter.htm which I remember from my trip over to England. Wink

As for being on-topic, I'll leave it at saying that I'm interested in seeing more; kats and Mal covered the constructive stuff that came to my mind.

Do you know what the Buddha looks like?
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: sneck? Reply with quote

Probably is a 'Windiism'. Reason I asked is cause it comes up quite a lot in the old Ops, as a general exclamation word. Here's some of the forms I've seen-
Sneck, snecking, snecker, shneck, schneking....

Oh man, that brings back memories. One of my favourite lines from the Old Ops is from Op. Pacifica, to quote Shardik- "Oh Korne, is that a COW!?!" Very Happy

Again, Big Thanks to everyone for helping me out and taking the time to do so!
Pupp
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Further mods Reply with quote

Okay, so maybe B'harnii isn't really actively seeking Leto out, but it is a mild interest thing. Besides, if he was able to snag her when she was a baby, he would've be able to mold and conform her to 'dark side' right from and early age. After the torture/capture incident, they realized that it was just too much trouble to go after someone who wasn't *entirely* important or super-skilled. She's rare, very rare, but not the most powerful magic-user out there.

Oh, here's something you might find interesting... just one of my theories on magic.

All types, forms, and other personifications of magic can be put into two groups- limited and unlimited source. The greater part of various magics fall into the ‘limited’ category- that is, they can only be performed with spells, incantations, hand gestures, wands, or other paraphernalia. The strength of spell can depend on the caster, the caster’s skill, any power inherent in the area. Even the simplest spells take a toll on the caster, and if the spell is large or complex enough, it can drain the caster and prevent them from casting any more spells for a certain period of time. Basically, limited magic is any kind of magic that comes at a cost, the price being either strength, skill, objects or location.

Slainte! (only 2 more sleeps till St. Pat's Day!) Very Happy

Yeah, that's probably pretty close to my feelings on magic-use. I wish I could remember the series of novels that I read quite a while back which really leaned me this way:

Basically, there is a certain amount of ambient magical energy everywhere. Some regions/worlds/dimensions/etc have more (The Disc), some have less (Earth). Due to some random factor gods/genetics/whatever, some lucky folks have the ability to channel and magnify this energy into useful forms. The mechanisms in doing so vary, be it incantation, shamanistic rituals, ritual sacrifice, etc. Also, every spellcaster has a certain "resistance" if you will, determined by a number of factors, again random, but skill, practice, and again, genetics can reduce this resistance.

If I recall, (and I'm a bad Jihaddi Wiz for not having read it for a while) this is pretty similar to what's in JU, but I think there were some differences. Also, that's extremely condensed. But basically the gist of what i've always felt.

BTW, it's good to see an interested mage-type person postin' around here. There's just not enough of us here to annoy the "normals."

Welcome!

Pupp
---
ArchChancellor : Jihad Praxeum Veneficus : "The Jihad's Premier School of Wizardry (Donations welcome.)"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: So what now? Reply with quote

If, and this is an if, I get 'recruited', what exactly does that mean? How do you participate or post stories? I hope I'm not being to forward... Smile

Slainte!

"Your father's soul says hi... I JUST ATE HIM!!" - Mystic Mongoose

"Here y'go...and remember not to spend all your financial aid money on bagels, else you won't have enough left for cream cheese."
Kylun blinked. "Oh, more Warped Logic. Thank you so much."
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So what now? Reply with quote

If, and this is an if, I get 'recruited', what exactly does that mean? How do you participate or post stories? I hope I'm not being to forward... Smile

Well, in the old days we'd have the initiate lay naked in a coffin while they recited their entire sexual history in front of a video camera...

Oh, wait. I'm sorry, that's the Skull and Bones initiation. My bad. Very Happy

Anyway, we're pretty informal these days. Since there's only about a dozen really active Jihaddi anymore, if you really want a proper JAO induction we can arrange that, but otherwise the main change will be you go from a Spectator to a Jihaddi as your user title. As for stories, you write the story and post it here. Depending on how lazy the archivist feels on any given day, it'll eventually get into the Archives.

If you want to participate in the current ongoing... well, that's closed at the moment. But if you want to watch us hack out the story - or just hang out, whatever - we'll send you a mail or something with the location of our chat channels and whatnot.

As for getting really recruited... well, that depends on if you really want to join the group. If you're more comfortable doing your own thing with our stuff as a base, that's cool.
--Deadpool #68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Writing Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: