what about the Maenads and the Holy Albino?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena, aka Jenn McCumhail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: what about the Maenads and the Holy Albino? Reply with quote

hey everyone!
Well, this is this first time I've ever posted anything, so forgive any goofs.
I've been interested in the Jihad to Destroy Barney for years, and would like to join, but I'm wondering if there are any new developments for the Maenads? In paticular, what happened to the Holy Albino, or Feral Jackson? I'm interested in writing something that might include that group...it would be interesting to see how the Maenads are involved in the new Op.
slainte!
ps- what requirements are there for a character to join the Maenads? again, please forgive me ignorance in these matters
in the words of Mordrid of Op.Phoenix- NEX PURPUREAE BESTIAE!!!!
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what about the Maenads and the Holy Albino? Reply with quote

Elena, aka Jenn McCumhail wrote:
hey everyone!
Well, this is this first time I've ever posted anything, so forgive any goofs.
I've been interested in the Jihad to Destroy Barney for years, and would like to join, but I'm wondering if there are any new developments for the Maenads? In paticular, what happened to the Holy Albino, or Feral Jackson? I'm interested in writing something that might include that group...it would be interesting to see how the Maenads are involved in the new Op.
slainte!

Well, if you've been reading the current ongoing Jihad Universe 3 arc, you'll note that the majority of the Maenads have been... well, killed off in various nasty ways by one of their own gone renegade. Sorry.

As for his own bad self the Holy Albino, he'll meet his destiny near the very end of the story we're planning for Jihad Universe 3. It should be most interesting.

But hey, that's what we're doing. If you've got an idea for a Maenad-centric story, post it on up. Helps brighten the place up a bit, so it does. Plenty of space to do stuff, after all. We ain't that picky. Cool

Quote:
ps- what requirements are there for a character to join the Maenads? again, please forgive me ignorance in these matters

In the confines of the story, the character has to be chosen for whatever reason by either the HA or Windigo. Usually this meant either being a righteous ass-kicker or being in the right place at the right time when you were truly screwed and Jackson was in a good mood. Beyond that, there's never been any set qualifications; people either are chosen or not.
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
Elena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Maenads Reply with quote

Whooops... guess I've been out of the loop. I've been reading the first few Ops over the years, haven't really had a chance to pick up any others. Thanks for such a quick reply- and from the Man himself!

So, if the Maenads have been, for the most part, 'disappeared', I guess that means there's a shortage. How many are left? 2 or three?
What's this gonna mean for the new Op?
An idea maybe that the Albino's (NYAR!) Cause is in trouble because his people have been killed off. Maybe (and this is very tentative- as an outsider, I wouldn't presume to tell the remaining Maenads what to do) there's a danger that if more, even just a couple more, Maenads aren't found, Bad Pookie could happen. But a Maenad can't be chosen lightly either.
My idea? (some beginning stuff)

just some basics, maybe a 'rebirth' of the Maenads, bringing them back to what they once were (with the blessing of the Holy Albino)
a person (preferably female) is transported or teleports some how into the Jihaddi universe. (How and her background yet to be developed.) She probably has some very bad or traumatic expriences with B'harnii's forces, but gets away. She then starts to have dreams, strange dreams that she can't really remember but always end with a strange, white, snarling face. And she wants to know why she has them.

Hopefully this idea isn't too lame. If it works, that'd be great. Smile The Maenads have always been my favourite characters.
NYAR!!!!
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Maenads Reply with quote

Elena wrote:
Whooops... guess I've been out of the loop. I've been reading the first few Ops over the years, haven't really had a chance to pick up any others. Thanks for such a quick reply- and from the Man himself!

Well, the Man himself is a bit obsessive when it comes to his toys, and it's always nice to see traffic on the board that doesn't involve "HAW HAW J00 SUXX0RZ BARNEE R00LZ!!!!11!!!eleven" Wink

Quote:
So, if the Maenads have been, for the most part, 'disappeared', I guess that means there's a shortage. How many are left? 2 or three?

Well, a lot of this is explained in the JU3 stories, but when the Jihad shut down in 1999 (for perfectly understandable reasons explained in the story) most of the Maenads scattered. According to The Man's Magic List of Maenad Whacking(tm), Windigo, Shardik and Maeve the Feral all vanished into the depths of time but are still alive... somewhere. As of right this millisecond in the JU3 continuity (in game terms, right about this time last year), the only Maenad still alive and living on the JU worldline is Nemesis the Feral.

What this means for JU3? Well... not all that much. We decided to kill off most of the Maenads for the simple reason that we needed to establish the right bonafides for our bad guy in the first arc of the story, and since the Maenads had the right level of badass aura, we decided to take them out.

And, to be perfectly honest, there's a bit of anti-Feral prejudice in the editorial office these days, because the Maenads ended up hogging the spotlight so often in the earlier Ops like Phoenix and Pacifica.

Quote:
My idea? (some beginning stuff)

just some basics, maybe a 'rebirth' of the Maenads, bringing them back to what they once were (with the blessing of the Holy Albino)
a person (preferably female) is transported or teleports some how into the Jihaddi universe. (How and her background yet to be developed.) She probably has some very bad or traumatic expriences with B'harnii's forces, but gets away. She then starts to have dreams, strange dreams that she can't really remember but always end with a strange, white, snarling face. And she wants to know why she has them.

Hopefully this idea isn't too lame. If it works, that'd be great. Smile The Maenads have always been my favourite characters.
NYAR!!!!

Hm... as a character idea, it's not bad for a rough draft. And it certainly makes more sense than any other Maenad origin story except maybe Windi's. As a "rebirth" of the Maenads as a group, that's something of a non-starter for the JU3 storyline - we've pretty much got that nailed down in the general, and the Maenads don't really play a huge role until the near the absolute end, and even then the role is somewhat small.

OTOH, like I've been telling the JU3 writers off and on for the last year or so, JU3 isn't the end of the JU saga. We've got an "absolute now" start point of May 1999 in the JURPG/JU2 gamebook, and there's no reason that we can't simply branch off other stories from there. So while a new Maenad joining the pack might not fly in JU3, it might work out well in the mainstream JU.
--Deadpool #68
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Maenads Reply with quote

Elena wrote:

Like Mal said, it depends on which part of the JU setting you're looking at. For JU3 purposes, Nemesis is the only surviving Maenad; the others have either been killed or are ... somewhere else, pending some future parts of JU3 writing.

For JU2 purposes, with the point of departure right before the "civil war" on Lyra, there are fourteen Maenads, four of whom were pure NPCs. That's about as common as they've ever gotten in Jihad continuity; at mid-1999 levels, that translates to roughly one Maenad for every two thousand Jihaddi.

Quote:

You'll see.
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: the fall... Reply with quote

oh wow
okay, so part of my obvious lack of knowledge about current Maenad stauts was the fact I hadn't finished reading the stories in the new Op. Ooops.
Owsen...damn.
Well, I feel pretty silly right now. I think I'm probably going to ditch the Maenad character idea I had, just modify it to be a normal (sic) Jihaddi. Still working on finishing reading the last story... wait a minute. In Op. Pacifica, when J-Rock became a Maenad, there was this interesting conversation between Death and Destiny about the fact he wasn't supposed to die till he was a great-grandfather or so. If he dies at the hand of Owsen, then...raises some interesting questions. Wink

Do not mourn for me, you
Who thought me lost so long ago
I have been lost for an age
I was lost then
I am not he who walks now
I died then

Slainte and sure, aren't I enjoying the story so far?
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: the fall... Reply with quote

(A note: You might want to consider getting a posting account, just for the hell of it.)

Elena wrote:
oh wow
okay, so part of my obvious lack of knowledge about current Maenad stauts was the fact I hadn't finished reading the stories in the new Op. Ooops.
Owsen...damn.

Indeed.

Quote:
Well, I feel pretty silly right now. I think I'm probably going to ditch the Maenad character idea I had, just modify it to be a normal (sic) Jihaddi.

Well, I don't think you have to scrap the idea. Like I said, JU3 isn't the be-all end-all of things Jihaddi.

Quote:
Still working on finishing reading the last story... wait a minute. In Op. Pacifica, when J-Rock became a Maenad, there was this interesting conversation between Death and Destiny about the fact he wasn't supposed to die till he was a great-grandfather or so. If he dies at the hand of Owsen, then...raises some interesting questions. Wink

It does indeed, doesn't it?
--Deadpool #68
KillJoy
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: the fall... Reply with quote

Mal-3 wrote:

Elena wrote:
Still working on finishing reading the last story... wait a minute. In Op. Pacifica, when J-Rock became a Maenad, there was this interesting conversation between Death and Destiny about the fact he wasn't supposed to die till he was a great-grandfather or so. If he dies at the hand of Owsen, then...raises some interesting questions. Wink

It does indeed, doesn't it?

Oh, you bastard, now you've got *me* wondering... Wink

... dohyeah, I had some stuff to work on, didn't I. *pulls out notes*

Do you know what the Buddha looks like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Writing Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: