Leto's Childhood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Leto's Childhood Reply with quote

Okay, this is gonna be where I put background stuff on Leto. Mostly in a series of diary entries like I did when I first auditioned, mebbe some things in a more story-like format.

This first bit is pretty much a rehash of what I wrote before, slightly more extended. Kinda explores a 'quirk' of the Melorians.

From Leto’s Journals

Possibly one of the strangest aspects of Melorian life in culture is their national pastime, or sport, as some like to call it, myself included. It’s a study in bloody contrasts, it is. I don’t understand how similar it is to certain cultures on Earth that I’ve studied. And I don’t understand why some people (this is theoretical, but I’m sure this is how they would react) might be confused or have a problem with it.

Melorians are, first and foremost, scholars, knowledge seekers, explorers. They love to learn, to know stuff, and are incredibly curious about their world and the universe around them. Now, the funny thing is, many other races or worlds mistakenly assume that this ‘scholarly’ attitude makes them weak, or a pacifist race. Which they are, to a degree. Melorians would never make war on another planet, or ever interfere with a world they’re observing. Problem is, other worlds are not nearly as observant as Melorians are, and seem to overlook the fact that they share the planet with two other races. And that these three races, together, make it their national pastime to raid each other.

I’ve been involved with my people in the occasional raid for resources from the Grendels and Tal’aska, and have had to defend myself and others when they decide to raid back. It’s usually not too bloody, more like a ‘shove and grab’, but occasionally people die, things get more violent, and next thing you know, you’re high-tailing it south with a fighter shooting at your…um, well. That’s a story for another time.

So yes, Melorians have quite a lot of experience in fighting.

So the first mistake other worlds have made in the past when they try to invade is that they think Meloria is a soft target. Oops.

On the other hand, some worlds are aware of the fact that the Melorians and the two other races, Grendels and Tal’aska. They think that because these three races are fighting fairly consistently, they’d be too fractured or divided to defend the Homeworld properly.

Oops again.

The mentality is of a ‘no one beats on our world except us’ type for the Grendels and Tal’aska. The Melorians agree, but they enjoy the look on an invader’s face when they get their ships blasted from the sky a bit more. The thought of someone bombing the archives infuriates them…just a little.
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: 3rd Month Reply with quote

Another diary entry, assume she's timing it by how long she's been in the Jihad Smile

3rd Month

Kida, I miss my home.

The Homeworld.

*sigh* I know this Earth is my true home, my Birthworld, but that doesn’t stop me from thinking about Meloria now and then. Technically, Meloria is only a region on a larger planet, and the name of my... the race that raised me, but for some reason the name is often used to describe the planet itself. Whatever, these things happen. Of course, it could be that Meloria is the primary race and technological power of the planet. I’m not being biased, really. The Grendels and Tal’aska have slightly smaller populations, and while their own technology is quite advanced, they definitely have not achieved the level the Melorians have with their transport technology.

Meloria is actually a large grouping of islands clustered around the equator and southern hemisphere of the Homeworld. The largest island, obviously, contains the capital city. Some are more desert like, some are very lush and fertile. Most of the islands, however, are not very large, so there’s always an ocean nearby.

It’s so beautiful... I would wake up in the morning to either the sound of the jungle or the sounds of wind and waves. It was usually very warm too, and the breezes would carry the scent of Lalanas flowers when they were in season. I guess it’s what the humans call a ‘tropical paradise’, but it was more than that to me. I could say something like ‘it was home’, but that’s for one, too cheesy, and two, it was more of a cross between a refuge and home. I felt safe there, though from what I couldn’t say till now.

Aww, hell, yeah it was home. And I wish I could see it again.
Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Next Entry Reply with quote

3rd Month

I sometimes wonder why I write like this.

There’s a risk, of course. I made a vow to my parents, Jaela and Kittim. I promised them I would never reveal who, exactly, raised me or where. There’s been a couple of near misses, times when I’ve been reminiscing or let something small slip. Of course, people here are fairly, what is the term... 'cool' about me hiding my past. I think there are more than a few who do so as well.

There’s two risks then. One, that someone finds this journal and reads it.
Fortunately, it’s not logged on a computer. I write it out by hand (how shocking some might find that. Heh.) in a blank book. This is kind of nullified by the fact that, two, I write in Melorian, but if anyone wanted to, they could find a way to translate it. Might take some doing, but...all right, now I’m getting paranoid.

But it means a lot. I promised, I vowed not to say anything. There was no geas or spell placed on me, it was done entirely out of trust. Which is, in a way, far more powerful than a geas could be.

The reason is, then, that growing up on a world, in a culture, where knowledge is such an important thing, saving and archiving and recording everything made a strong impression on me. Not obsessively strong, but, well…yeah. Kind of what I grew up with. And more than that, it helps to have at least something I can vent to.

So I go on and on about the Homeworld. Well, what do you expect? I love my Homeworld, and I wish I could tell others about it. I can’t, so I describe it in my own words, as best as I am able, so I can read this again and remember what it was like.

It’s surprising how much like my Birthworld, Earth, the Homeworld is. The sky is blue, with ‘normal’ coloured clouds, the gravity comparible, the air (obviously) the same. The weather is similar as well, though at times I think it can be a little more violent than even the worst storms I have heard of here. Some of my fondest memories are walking along the beaches of my parents island, Kliimsk, the sand and waves pretty much the same as they are here.

I learned how to swim almost before I learned my magic skills…another interesting story, how those two skills crossed one time. Maybe not so much interesting as something I’d rather forget. I seem to get myself into those kind of situations quite a often, even now in the Jihad. One thing I’m grateful for is that Katze, or anyone else, will very likely never find out about my scrapes and, ah, ‘incidents’ as a child. If they found about *half* the stuff I’ve done as a kid, I’d never hear then end of it. Like being reminded, every day, of being ‘the Jihaddi who can’t hold her Jolt’ is bad enough. Note, maul the next person who says that within earshot.

Enough angst.

Swimming was always fun. Melorians are descended from an aquatic race, and they still have strong ties to the water. What always brought a few laughs was how well I took to the water myself. Friends of my parents, family members, were often surprised at how well I swam, even keeping up with them once and a while. Webbed hands and feet come in handy.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: 4th Month Reply with quote

4th Month
Randomly saying things as they pop into my head is a curse at times. Most of the ideas I get are probably viewed as a curse when the bosses find out about them, which is exactly my problem...honestly, what’s the big deal with trying to recreate the firestorm spell from that game Adam told me about? For the love of Eckae, nothing actually *caught* on fire, the spell fizzled out before anything could!

So, come as no surprise, here I am in Operations. Again. Dammit.
So as I idly fiddle and pretend to do paperwork (oh hell, save me) I may as look like I’m doing work. Hmm, I wonder what would’ve happened if I tried that back at JPV...probably nothing. If stuff like that *didn’t* happen, people might start getting worried.

So, idly jotting things down as they come to me. I’m not going to be one of those geeky types and write my entire day down, every day, dating it properly and all that...yech. Whatever I want, when I want. So there.

I remember this one time on Meloria when I was swimming. The stormy season was coming up, and the waves were starting to get pretty intense. The Homeworld has two moons, both farther away from it then Earth’s moon is from Earth, but their gravitational pull can have some very interesting effects on the water and tides.

So, there I was, body surfing over these enourmous waves, shooting towards shore at terrific speeds. I’m happily splashing about and my mother, Jaela, comes to the beach to watch. She’s used to me being out there, riding the waves, so I’m surprised when she starts shouting and waving her hands. The waves were too strong for me to look around to see what she was getting so excited about, so I decide just to duck under and...well, that’s when I realized what she was shouting about.

There was an massive, really massive wave coming in. I felt it grab me, drag me up and around and around. I could barely breathe, and all of sudden I feel the sand scraping my backside. I had been pretty far out to sea, but that wave had carried me in quicker than I could imagine. Next thing I know, my mother is in the water with me, struggling against the current and the drag, pulling me out, and I’m coughing up sea water all over her dress. I was only 13 at the time. I wasn’t allowed back in till WELL after the rainy and tide season had passed.

I can just imagine relating this story to someone. “Wow, you must be pretty scared of the water now.” “Why would I be? I’ve only had a near drowning experience, oh, 4 or 5 times in my life.”

4th Month
Now, I may not know a lot about science, or how things work in the universe, but it surprises me how there seems to be several ‘laws’ that apply no matter where you are or what planet or universe you’re in. This is just from comparing what I’ve learned and am learning about the Earth, and comparing it to Meloria. Even though they are two completely different worlds, the skies are both blue, the plants green, the marine animals need gills and the mammals need lungs. Even the basic anatomical structure between Melorians and humans are the same, and they look the same too.

There are, of course, radical differences in Melorian DNA, organs, things like eyesight or life-span, but they look, to a degree, human. Two eyes on top, nose, mouth, ears on the side of the head (not quite the same shape though), skull pretty much the same as well. They’re what some people call ‘humanoid’.

One thing I find very amusing, and it’s a habit I’m falling into as well, is how all humans seem to compare everything or rate things otherworldy with themselves. ‘Humanoid’ for instance, though Melorians never originated from even a mammalian background. How livable a planet is depends on how close it’s air, gravity, etc is to Earth’s...okay, I’m being a little silly now. Of course they do that, it’s because that’s the planet they’re born on. But I think the reason why I’m even bringing it up is the fact that Melorians, and I think a few other races as well, don’t label or compare things the same way. Melorians, for instance, would not name other races by how similar they were to a Melorian. Ie, they’re not about to call humans ‘Meloranoid’.

Eep. I must be getting tired because I’m starting to babble and ramble on. This is one those things I’m going to look back on, wince, and be thankful no one else is going to read. Hopefully I can think about something that sounds a little more sane. Oh, for...I mention this to Veronika and she just started laughing at me. I don’t know why, I say plenty of things that are perfectly normal. Looks like another pouncing is due.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: My brain scares me sometimes Reply with quote

'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'. Watched it, and this was the result.

4th Month

Death and Life are two intrinsic parts of Melorian thought and culture.

Melorians have a very practical view of Death. We see ourselves as having an intimate relationship with our Seagod.

Our Seagod being Death himself, of course.

Our understanding of Death stems from the way we live. We are a people of peace; we don’t invade other worlds, we study them. At the same time, we make war with our cousins, our own blood, the two races with whom we share the Homeworld. Some might see this as perverse, in a way, if they saw with how much joy Melorians feel when the raid the others. "Over the ocean, across the seas, to the Northern Continents go we, for what is ours is what is theirs, for what is theirs is a part of the world we share."

This is why we have an 'understanding' with Death. For us, the ocean is the source of all life, the Birth Waters of Creation. Our bounty, our blessings, come from it. Conversely, the Seagod, who rules these waters, allows and occasionally approves of the way we use his passage, of the blood we spill in his waters. The creatures of the oceans of the Homeworld are far more vicious then the creatures of the land. The great waves that batter the Islands of the Breach are of his doing and his command.

How can we see, then, that Death and Life are part of one another? For that matter, how or why do we venerate a god, and place him at the peak of our pantheon, when he seems to be so callous and cruel?

Death is neither of these things, Death is only there. The waves, the creatures, the power of the sea is only the sea itself. Death is a result, is a natural part of life, the end, or the beginning.

And Death is only one aspect of the Seagod’s nature, as it is with all Melorians. We rejoice when one of us is taken, because it means they have left the hardships of Life. Life is seen as a far harsher mistress then Death.

At the same time, we recognize the inherent darkness present in what we do and how we think. Raiding is seen as a source of pleasure, yes, treated as our ‘national pastime’. But the lives that are taken, accidentally or otherwise, are *never* taken lightly or without reason. We know exactly what we are doing, and while it is often done without regret, we still know we are taking life.

I don’t know if I can really, clearly state the Melorian mindset, philosophy, whatever, about Life and Death. These are just my own ragged memories and ramblings on the subject. It’s so hard to write down coherently. I’m not a philosopher, and I know I’m not good at saying the deeper things of my heart or mind. Even the true philosophers and scholars of Meloria have trouble clearly defining the way we think and feel.

But even by rambling on in the way I do, I can begin to form a somewhat coherent picture or insight in my own mind about the race that raised me, that I feel I’m still very much a part of. I don’t worship the Seagod, I never have, but I view him, view Death, with a sort of wry respect. Death waits for us all, and what is important, in my eyes, is how we meet that end. I know much of what I’ve done is harsh, is violent, that I’ve taken life. But I also know I haven’t killed wantonly. And I won’t lie and say I’ll give up the way I live and believe, that I won’t kill again, but I will say I will meet my end with the hope that I have done some good, 'without regret'.

With honesty.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Okay, some stuff on waves, earthquakes, etc... Reply with quote

4th Month
I suppose I should explain what the ‘Islands of the Breach’ are. Given that’s where I pretty much grew up.

Kliimsk, my parent’s island, is one of over a thousand small islands that litter a section of the ocean that’s known as ‘the Breach’. Here, deep underneath the water, is a fault line a lot like the one I’ve heard about in California…the San Andreas one, I think. Much like California, or anywhere on the West Coast, this fault line often generates earthquakes, or ‘sea stirrers’ as Melorians call them. I guess it says something that Melorians don’t identify the earth shaking with the term ‘earthquake’.

Anyways, most of the Islands are uninhabited, and with good reason. They lie in an arc in front of the larger, inhabited islands of the Main, and act as a sort of buffer zone. The sea-stirrers that ripple from the Breach, more often than not, cause the massive waves that tear through the Islands. Sometimes, but only rarely, the wave is big enough that it bypasses the Islands and crashes into one of the inhabited islands. Even though it’s rare, all homes, building, structures, etc, in Meloria are built to withstand a great wave if it happens to pass through. The exceptions being buildings that are too high or too far inland to be affected.

The reason why some Melorians live on the Islands of the Breach is partly so they can study or conduct tests, or observe the waves in action. Some, like the people on Earth called ‘daredevils’ just like the faint sense of danger that comes from living so close to the Breach. I think my parents were a little of both, given that my, ah, bevaviour when we stayed in the Main often elicited remarks such as ‘No surprise, look at her parents’.

Stupid gits, as Adam would say.

I didn’t get into trouble all that often, really. It was more that most Melorians aren’t used to having young children around, and human children (obviously) either. I wasn’t too wild, and I certainly didn’t deserve getting sent to study formal Melorian behaviour and customs every rainy season from the time I was 13 till I left. Eckae aan tastos, each season was 4 Earth months long!

So. Kliimsk is an island that directly faces the Breach. It’s been hit, or ‘waved’ by a great wave only once in my memory. I can remember the land shaking several times growing up, and my father Kittim shaking his head each time and saying ‘Lady Eckae is tempting Sida’s wrath again’. Actually, that phrase takes a bit of explaining...

Even though Melorians know perfectly well how earthquakes and great waves happen, some still believe that the gods (there’s not that many in Melorian religion) are the base cause of it. The legend is (and Melorians don’t have many legends) that Lord Sida, the Seagod as well as Death itself, is married to Lady Eckae, the Landgoddess and Life. For reasons that are somewhat apparent, this union periodically goes through some troubles. Sida and Eckae live on an island in the Otherworld, but whenever there’s a fight, Eckae flees to this side of the ether and taunts Sida from beyond by shaking the ground. This infuriates Sida, because he knows that she knows full well what the effects of such an action are- the great waves. Sida is Lord of the Oceans, but he does not interfere with what happens naturally, and cannot stop the wave from occurring. He cannot leave the Otherworld without good reason or without being asked, but when Eckae returns, as she must, there is always a long period where the sea-stirrers do not occur. Sida in the Otherworld keeps her well cowed in his fury.

He does, on occasion, send a wave himself- these are the true great waves, ones so huge they touch even the Main. These waves, these rare waves, are called De’enos kida. The translation of the term into English is kind of hard. The best I can do, and I’m no linguist, is ‘Sea death’s damned cure’. ‘Kida’ is used as a swear word by Melorians, and its origins are the reason why. There is no warning quake that precedes the De’enos, no warning at all beyond what a mage or a prophet might receive in a dream. Each De’enos that has ever been sent has been sent with a reason behind it, and something of great significance is always the result, usually a good result.

It’s kind of confusing, I realize. Another mystery of Melorian thought is trying to comprehend Sida’s motives for what he does. The closest I can come, myself, is that the De’enos kida, while not liked, is only reserved for the greatest crimes that have been committed; crimes that not only harm others but can have a huge impact on life itself. Like an illness, if the effected area is not immediately cleansed or removed, even at the cost of some healthy parts, greater evil can happen. It shouldn’t strictly be considered a cure; it’s a punishment as well.
Elena, aka Leto Bucher
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Some random thoughts :) Reply with quote

Well, this is probably going to be a little ironic...kind of relates to a story that's still processing. Wink

Leto: Dammit, it is not that I don't think things through, it is just that I tend to rush into them.

Wink Wink

4th Month

"Consider everything. Don't think that just because something's outside the realm of *your* possibility that it's outside any realm of possibility. Think things over, study them, try to know as much as you can. Even if you think the knowledge is useless or irrelevant, you'll be glad for it when the time comes that you might need it."

Words of my father, Kittim. And words that pretty fairly describe part of the way Melorians think. Unfortunately, amongst humans and Melorians this failure to 'consider' everything happens all too often. Even amongst the most observant of people, sometimes you don't realize the truth because the truth is so far beyond what you expect that you almost *can't* know what it is. Whether it's about a person or a thing or whatever—more often people, because the people you know have distinct personalities and you're familiar with who they are. And this familiarity, sometimes, and the way you might think yourself, makes you blot out any of the more extreme answers to questions you might have, without you even realizing it.

I like to think I don't do this, that I'm able to accurately judge where some folks are coming from, like why their aura is a little strange or why they have a limp. But I hope I'm wise enough to know that I probably make mistakes and rationalize things myself as well.

Someone like me, with all the things I've seen and know about, I can consider a hell of a lot more than your average human being or Mundane, no matter how bizarre or weird, because I know it *can* happen. Most mundanes don't know this, or don't fully believe in magic or the 'marvelous' as my Mosi put it.

Okay, I should've mentioned before that I don't actually call my parents by their 'first' names. My mother I call Kana, and my father Mosi. There.

To continue, the most humorous example of the way people consider things is when they lose something, like their keys or wallet. Brother Adam, bless him, is kind of absentminded at times. I remember this one time I visited him, and he started wandering around his room for his wallet. So I said to him "Check in the fridge."

"Why the fridge? I wouldn't put it there."

Exactly my point. People don't look, literally, everywhere, because they think that there's some places that are just not possible. Most of the time this is okay; you don't want to waste time and resources searching places you don't really need to.

But still..."Consider everything."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> Writing Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: