New FAQ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: New FAQ? Reply with quote

Well, it's been pointed out that we probably ought to write a new and informative FAQ as opposed to the weapon of email destruction we have now.

So, I'm going to see what I can do on that sort of thing, and I'm throwing open this discussion to talk about what we ought to have in such a document. I'd especially love to see input from the newer folks to the board on this one.

Information is good!

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The philosophy parts are the core of the Jihad. I'd keep them. Why Barney is Bad IRL and How to Roleplay would seem the next most important subjects. Who Is a Jihaddi/How Do I Join would be worth mention. The Jihad's history should merit a small section. Beyond that, watch the newbs and see what they ask (hey, guys: ask! Here's the thread to do it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if there isn't one already, but a storywriters FAQ would be wonderful.
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I largely agree with Tang. I'm wondering whether or not we should de-emphasize the OOC history (aside from obvious stuff like majormajor dates). That might be lingering discomfort about DL's using the FAQ as a vendetta platform in that area, though.

And Alpha, there's already a significant storywriters' "FAQ" out there in a few ways. The most obvious is the archives existing so far, which will give you an idea of what's legit and what isn't in terms of styles, content, etc. I'd particularly recommend at least skimming a lot of Op:Pacifica or Op: Marraketh for that on the JU2 section, as those are the original JU2-style stories in terms of trying to get things put together in a useful way. Phoenix as well, but Phoenix is both incomplete and hovering on the JU1/JU2 line. (And I really need to finish rewriting some parts of it. I've only been sitting on that for years... Embarassed )

The other major resource is of course JU2RPG; Chapters 6 and 7 are ideal for character generation and setting up the actual story, with the rest useful for background. If there's absent stuff, feel free to ask; we're either working on it or should.
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zibblsnrt wrote:
I largely agree with Tang. I'm wondering whether or not we should de-emphasize the OOC history (aside from obvious stuff like majormajor dates). That might be lingering discomfort about DL's using the FAQ as a vendetta platform in that area, though.

Yeah. I'm a little worried about that too, and well, to be honest, the early days have really slipped into history. We don't have a Carmichael in the real world, more's the pity. So if anything, I'm probably going to de-emphasize the history, other than the really big things (the Praetors/Triumvirate, a short desc of the Serp mess, and the years of disquiet -- I think those are the most important things, really.)

Unless ye all disagree, of course, but that's why I'm asking.

Zibblsnrt wrote:
And Alpha, there's already a significant storywriters' "FAQ" out there in a few ways. The most obvious is the archives existing so far, which will give you an idea of what's legit and what isn't in terms of styles, content, etc. I'd particularly recommend at least skimming a lot of Op:Pacifica or Op: Marraketh for that on the JU2 section, as those are the original JU2-style stories in terms of trying to get things put together in a useful way. Phoenix as well, but Phoenix is both incomplete and hovering on the JU1/JU2 line. (And I really need to finish rewriting some parts of it. I've only been sitting on that for years... Embarassed )

As ye writer of the IC history, this isn't quite correct. Wink Phoenix and Pacifica took some chopping and ignoring of bits for me to get them finished. Phoenix is definitely more JU1 and Pacifica's on the border.

Marraketh and Homefront are the JU2 ops, Homefront slightly more than Mketh. (And I say that having coordinated Mketh.)

And of course there's the Jihad Universe for Dummies, which, despite its name, is actually pretty much what Alpha's asking for. Smile

Zibblsnrt wrote:
The other major resource is of course JU2RPG; Chapters 6 and 7 are ideal for character generation and setting up the actual story, with the rest useful for background. If there's absent stuff, feel free to ask; we're either working on it or should.

Yeah. The JU2 RPG really serves as the essential manual for writing in the Jihad. And nicely enough, it also works well for those using it outside the JIhad, like ScumSweetHeart is doing. Smile But yeah, I'd consider the JU2 sourcebook to be the most important thing one can read before participating in the Jihad.

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
ScumSweetHeart
Spectator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: What do the people want? Reply with quote

Man, who knows what we want?

I guess I want to know what you guys have. Vehicles, NPCs, Monsters/Creatures, weapons, blueprints, etc...

In the gaming world i've found it's not what I want know, as much as the ideas I get from finding out what others have done.

Whatever you've got, I'm sure we on the outside would like to see it.
Tangaroa
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSH: Most of the gear is JU1 and isn't used in current RP, and wasn't really used in JU1 RP either. I'm not sure whether it's really a good idea to point you towards it. Some of the stuff you're looking for is in http://www.jihad.net/ju2rpg/ju2-plaintext.txt

What we do have:

The Jihad's technology is about 10-20 years advanced of current tech, with VRDET in possession of a few Sufficiently Advanced things. For instance, the JihadLinker is a comms device dating from circa '94 using 2010 electronics technology. It uses effectively unbreakable encryption and is backed by a worldwide sattellite network. Each 'Linker has a self destruct mechanism in case they fall into the hands of the enemy, and they have whatever features we think they'll need as we think them up ;) -- Password control, web access, l10n/i18n, etc. The JihadLinker network uses a robust protocol allowing for a wide range of applications, more like the Internet than a specialized pager or cell network. It might be built on something resembling TCP/IP (Shad, correct me here). The most common JihadLinker model is a palm device, but Dick Tracy style wrist 'Linkers have been fielded. The 'Linker uses a unique Jihad-design battery with a 8-10 year lifespan.

Most of the Jihad uses Mundane weapons, since it's difficult/expensive to build the better ones. The most common high-tech weapon is the X-Rifle, a heavy beast designed for use by hardsuit infantry but taken up by regular infantrymen strong enough to handle it. It combines a plasma-gun component with a grenade-launcher undercarriage. The plasma component has a tendency to overheat and risk warping if you don't let it cool between shots. My char has a modded rifle on which he removed the grenade-launcher component, lightening it up enough for him to use it as just a plasma gun. TRES is working on a revamped design better suited for light infantry use, but this is still in the design stages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Removed post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted Post

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum, B'harnee flavoured troll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: