How do I apply for my JAO to be added?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's safe to assume Jihaddi don't plagarize each others' work. Referencing other people's creations, characters or JAOs usually involves some notification in advance for politeness' sake, and it's assumed you're giving the writers referenced an opportunity to at least look things over.
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Zibblsnrt"]It's safe to assume Jihaddi don't plagarize each others' work. Referencing other people's creations, characters or JAOs usually involves some notification in advance for politeness' sake, and it's assumed you're giving the writers referenced an opportunity to at least look things over.[/quote]
oh. Thank You for that information
Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
Um, sorry. I just don't want to be plagiarised

Three-point reply:

1) We're honorable here. Accusing us of irrational and dishonorable behavior isn't likely to get us on your good side, and we're the ones who accept you into the community since by definition the community is us.

2) If you do end up with a JAO in the Jihad, other people are going to be using your work anyway. It'll pretty much belong to the community. Not in a total sense--we obviously credit the ArtSlave with all his work--but in the sense that other people will use your art, hopefully with your permission, but occasionally in the "I used it for $foo," sense, where if you don't like it you'll have to track it down and retcon. People use the TRES logo for all sorts of things, to pick a random example. Heck, the names and titles here originally got made up by one person, but they're kinda communual posessions now.

3) At this point, we've had a lot of ideas to sort through and have been picking the best ones. If we want to use something, it's because it's good.
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Some Helpful Tips from One who Knows... Reply with quote

Pupp wrote:
I started hanging around ab4d and the IRC Jihad chan somewhere back in 1998. After the usual newb period of generally being obnoxious and annoying the grizzled Old Ones, I settled into a pretty uneventful life as a TRES officer.

Actually, I remember you hanging around in October of 1997, Pupp. I was happy because it meant I wasn't the newbie anymore. Wink

<snip of a heck of a lot of good points>

I might point out that the last three JAOs I recall getting admission to the Jihad (JPV, VRDET, CoStDtA, in reverse order) all had relatively established Jihaddi at the helm. In JPV's case, it was Pupp (with a good supporting crew), in VR's case it was Mal, Ari, and myself (and while Ari and myself hadn't been Jihaddi very long in that case, there were special circumstances, and we were known to the Jihaddi in charge), and CoStDtA was dragfyre's, who was a Captain in TRES at that point. I don't ever recall anybody getting a JAO from scratch in my tenure.

Pupp wrote:
On another note, is the FAQ still hanging around anywhere?

Would you believe it's on my todo list and I've just not gotten around to it? (Although if anybody thinks they can take a good hard crack at it, feel free.)

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"

Last edited by katster on Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess you are right. You can use my logo for something here, ok
Pupp
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Helpful Tips from One who Knows... Reply with quote

Katster wrote:

Pupp wrote:
On another note, is the FAQ still hanging around anywhere?

Would you believe it's on my todo list and I've just not gotten around to it? (Although if anybody thinks they can take a good hard crack at it, feel free.)

-kat

Well, i'd definitely be willing to contribute and/or edit if need be. It'd take a back door to the JU3 obligations, though, of course. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pupp
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
well I guess you are right. You can use my logo for something here, ok

[voice="R. Lee Ermey"]Well, shit son! Let's see it already! Surprised [/voice]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Helpful Tips from One who Knows... Reply with quote

Pupp wrote:
Katster wrote:

Well, i'd definitely be willing to contribute and/or edit if need be. It'd take a back door to the JU3 obligations, though, of course. Smile

Why do you think I haven't done it yet? Wink Well, that and other obligations. And Mal's done a very nice RP FAQ which takes some of the problems out of it.

I should open a new thread of what information one might want in a useful FAQ, though. Wink

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: