POLL: The next generation for the JU RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  

JU Roleplaying - What Do You Want?
Jihad Universe 1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jihad Universe 3
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
JAO Sourcebooks (TRES, DE, VR, etc.)
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Lyran Sourcebook
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
B'harne Sourcebook
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
To see Mal's head on a pike as a warning that some favors come with too high a price
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Contributions Reply with quote

ScumSweetHeart wrote:
I'm sure this is a mortal sin, but i've read all the faqs and the sourcebook is great, but there does seem to be a limit to what can honsetly be created. the Jihad has a host of links out on the web, but the whole universe seems to be 'defined' already.

I'm planning on using the sourcebook as a template for a GURPS Supers campaign i am organizing, but that seems like it is out-of-the-box for what you have running already.

does that make sense?

It does make sense, and part of the problem is that we're working on a backlog of something like fifteen years of net.history. What's going on now is a serious attempt to codify all this and put it in some kind of reasonable format. But as for creating... there are plenty of adventure seeds in there, and if you want to do something non-canon on your own you're plenty welcome! (Just, y'know, mention us poor folks.)

The sourcebooks we're discussing right now are basically stuff "we" already "know"--so yeah, the brand new shine has worn off, but it's all kinds of awesome to see new levels of detail in all the structures. (I'm totally amazed by even the beta stuff Nem and Zibb are doing on the Lyran, for example, and kat is getting totally groovy mileage out of local stuff for Jbay.) So it's creativity-in-a-framework. Creativity-out-of-a-framework is stuff like JU3, which isn't yet really covered in a sourcebook, and... well, like taking the basic template and using it for a Supers campaign.

Suggestions are always welcome from the sidelines. We may not use them, but they're good to have.
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
Nemesis
Art Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortal sin? Nah. This is correct in many respects, but one of the goals of the sourcebook project is to complile a lot of the 'loose' stuff that is contained on largely defunct websites into a single handful of ready sources and provide a 'definative' source, because, honestly, nothing was ever consistent in the Jihad Universe until now. Wink

And there is still a lot of stuff to be developed that's more in-depth. The Lyran sourcebook is in progress and just the smattering of what is written now does a lot to make them more than one-dimensional masked villains.
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Contributions Reply with quote

ScumSweetHeart wrote:
I'm sure this is a mortal sin, but i've read all the faqs and the sourcebook is great, but there does seem to be a limit to what can honsetly be created. the Jihad has a host of links out on the web, but the whole universe seems to be 'defined' already.

I'm planning on using the sourcebook as a template for a GURPS Supers campaign i am organizing, but that seems like it is out-of-the-box for what you have running already.

does that make sense?

What's with this "mortal sin" stuff? If you ask me, it's pretty difficult to find a more Supers-friendly setting out there than the Jihad. I really like the idea myself. What didja have planned?

Right now we're mainly working on adding both breadth and depth to what we've got so far. A lot of the stuff written so far is pretty much just the surface; both ICly and OOCly the orgainzation's been around for almost fifteen years, and so there's a lot left to do in there. Even the book largely scratches the surface, so if there's anything you think should be fleshed out at some point later on, feel free to give folks a poke and we'll see if it's on our todo. :)
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Contributions Reply with quote

ScumSweetHeart wrote:

does that make sense?

Well, if the flurry of replies from everybody else haven't convinced you, take it from the guy responsible for this whole megillah: There's still a lot of stuff to go over in the JU.

The book as it stands feels pretty complete, but then it's also the product of almost a decade's worth of sifitng through netlore. There are holes to be filled; I know because I left a few open whenever possible. It's not maybe as completely open as, say, one of the six billion D&D books out there, but then the JU is a bit more binary than your average D&D party. Wink

As for out of the box use of the JU book... that's not a sin. If anything, the fact that somebody who isn't part of the core JU group is actually using our creation for their own purposes just made my entire day. Thank you. Very Happy
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
KillJoy
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, everyone *ELSE* has chipped in on this topic, so I'd hate to feel left out. Wink

The big honkin' book is our version of the universe as it stands. It's what we're writing in, pretty much... it's the "baseline" for JU2. And we're all really excited about it in a way, because this crap has all been really scattered and fragmentary... it disrupts writing attempts when everyone has a different vision of the world.

But, like any other worldbook... hell, if you wanna use the ideas but change them to suit your own game, go right ahead! Heck, it's even explainable if you want; heavens know the universe took a bad pounding at various points. Wink

Do you know what the Buddha looks like?
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I have a question. What is happening after JU3? It says there is an Epilogue at the end of it.
KillJoy
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
Hm, I have a question. What is happening after JU3? It says there is an Epilogue at the end of it.

Good question. As many chunks of JU3 haven't been planned out yet, much less written... guess we'll just have to wait and see. Wink

Do you know what the Buddha looks like?
Mal-3
Frustrated Pulp Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:

That remains to be seen. We may play in post-JU3 scenarios, or we may loop back and create a JU4 alternate universe, or we may go back and remaster some of the old historical stuff...

Or, to quote one of my favorite films, "Who knows the future, Lawgiver?" Wink
"Good lord, he's using country music!"
"He dies! He dies screaming!"
--Deadpool #68
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KillJoy wrote:
Patrick Alpha wrote:

Good question. As many chunks of JU3 haven't been planned out yet, much less written... guess we'll just have to wait and see. Wink

As I was about to say, even if we knew, why should we say? We want you to read the story. Wink

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
William
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm chipping in to this thread quite late, but hey. Work + life + wasn't until just now I had what I thought was a worthwhile idea, the latter being the really important one.

How about a scenario supplement? Most game lines have their core book, followed by adventures set in that world. A set of several plot seeds for various power levels and methodologies that provide firsthand experience of things talked about in the core book, finishing up with a longer, more complex adventure that explores a particular facet of the JU, would combine supplement and development and add value to both.

I'd be willing to oversee the basic editing process of this, though as it's very modular I can take input from just about anyone.
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like that, actually.

I intended on including several adventure/campaign seeds with the Lyran book, both for playing from their perspective and that of the Jihaddi; it's interesting if just for the branchoff potential. (What if the rescue spell failed?)
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: