How do I apply for my JAO to be added?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Alpha
Resident bloody clueless idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: How do I apply for my JAO to be added? Reply with quote

[color=blue]Hello, I am Patrick Alpha! I am currently working on a JAO called:
The European Union Against Barney
(BTW, Barney Gumble is The God of it.)
Now, how do I apply for the URL? 'union.jihad.net' is my desired entry.
Cheers
Patrick[/img]

Last edited by Patrick Alpha on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how do I add an avatar?
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind about avatar.
Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick suggestion to get a JAO approved is to not use the avatar of one of our oldest and most respected members. It tends to disorient people and make them cranky.

Another suggestion is to hang around, read the rulebooks, and attempt to roleplay within the system. TRES, VRDET, and DE are all multinational entities. Creating a character within one of these and based in the EU would be easier than attempting to create your own organization from the ground up, and would give the trium less headaches.

Third suggestion is to come up with a detailed proposal of why your suggested JAO would enrich the Jihad and the roleplaying community as a whole, insofar as what you would be able to do that the existant JAOs cannot. Once you're done, post it to the board and let the elders critique it. Most likely you will still be struk down, because we've seen a lot of JAO suggestions--most of us have been here through the expansionist ages--and we know that it's easier to get good roleplay and good writing when you know your resources.

But hey, it would be great to see a contribution of any sort, so don't let me dissuade you from posting. Welcome.
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
Aris_TGD
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in a more general sense, discussions of JAOs and other things related to roleplay should be discussed in alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die; this part of the forum is for site maintenance messages. If you're interested in just out and out purchasing union.jihad.net you'd have to ask our sysadmin; still, the other suggestions I outlined will more likely have a positive result.
CATULLUS: Of course. This way people can call Caesar “Commander Cocksucker” out loud and it’s okay, because they’re not the ones calling Caesar a cocksucker, they’re just quoting that wacky Catullus. I can’t help it if I’m the voice of the people.
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but I didn't know that somebody was using this avatar. I apologize & will change it.
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gumble looks angry in this picture Shocked
Anyway, how would I contact the admin?
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh drat, I am the only member online here Sad
I will be back in a few minutes Razz
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
Mr Gumble looks angry in this picture Shocked
Anyway, how would I contact the admin?

Well, that would be me.

At the present moment, I am not selling or giving out jihad.net subdomains other than with two very specific exceptions. A large chunk of this is simply because of what the domain name is, and given the climate of the world today, it's probably best to make sure I know the folks on the other end of any subdomains I give out. Those exceptions are:

1) JAOs, as recognized by the Triumvirate. I know the process it takes to get a JAO approved and thus I feel I can probably trust anybody who gets through that with a subdomain.

2) Large, multiJAO projects. This is a bit more nebulous, and I think it's only been invoked at one point for the JU2 project, but on that, it comes down to me as the final authority on the matter. (Well, me with advice from Jihaddi I trust. You stay in this business long enough and you make friends.)

Anyway, right now, two pieces of advice. One, Aris is one of those Trium folks you're going to have to get an application by if you choose to go that route. And every word she's said there in regards to JAO creation is true.

Two, your best bet is, as Aris said, is to find a current JAO and join it. There's folks who can do membership from TRES and VR hanging around, and we're always interested in folks who are enthusiastic about the whole thing.

And you do have a lot of enthusiasm. Smile

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
katster
the so-called admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: ADMIN MAGIC Reply with quote

btw, I've moved this topic to ab4d where it belongs.

-kat
"these are the days of miracle and wonder" -Paul Simon, "The Boy in the Bubble"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pupp
Jihaddi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Some Helpful Tips from One who Knows... Reply with quote

Patrick,

Just wanted to throw some info your way, as I think i'm the most recent person who actually got a JAO application approved and would most likely be one of the people to approve a new one...

I started hanging around ab4d and the IRC Jihad chan somewhere back in 1998. After the usual newb period of generally being obnoxious and annoying the grizzled Old Ones, I settled into a pretty uneventful life as a TRES officer.

Some perspective for ya: When I finally got around to the idea of the Jihad Praxeum Veneficus I had been a relatively active Jihaddi for... oh... 3-4 years, methinks? (ignore the 1999 date on the site, that's in-JU timeline, not RL)

ALso keep in mind that of all the JAO's, none really centered primarily around magic-users. If you read yer JU history, you'll notice that a lot of characters are magic users, and you'll see that magic has a very prominent role in the RP. So there was a definite hole that could be filled by a Jihad Magic University a'la Unseen U. in Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

So, a couple things to definitely have before you consider your own JAO:

1. Do I have the experience and/or knowledge of the Jihad to not get the Supreme Smackdown[tm] by the Trium when I submit my idea?

2. Does my idea fill a purpose in the Jihad that is not covered by one of the existing JAOs?

3. Can the idea be developed fully past a concept into a JU story element which can serve a function in the Jihad and be more multi-dimensional?

4. Do I have the time to back up the idea with substance?

Especially on the fouth one, you really want to stop and think about just how much time you have to spend. I for one had no idea when I proposed the JPV just how much work was going to go into it. This is probably the biggest reason to join an existing JAO and work your way up the ranks before you even CONSIDER starting up your own (assuming it can get approved in the first place).

So anyway, to sum up... welcome to the crew here and I hope you'll enjoy your time here. By all means, if you have any good ideas, feel free to speak up but you may want to look at joining one of the existing JAOs and getting some time under your belt before jumping into JAO creation.

On another note, is the FAQ still hanging around anywhere?

----
Puppeteer
ArchChancellor,JPV-LtCmdr,Alpha,TRES-TriumAdjunct-JihadCodeKeeper(yes, they still exist!)
jpv.jihad.net-jumbo.sandwich.net/jihad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions, thank you for the help
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I have also got a logo already and can e-mail it to somebody who wants to see it. Be aware that the logo was created by me, and so don't claim you created it yourself.
Cheers
Patrick
zibblsnrt
Not the Bald Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alpha wrote:
BTW, I have also got a logo already and can e-mail it to somebody who wants to see it. Be aware that the logo was created by me, and so don't claim you created it yourself.
Cheers
Patrick

I'd be a little careful about accusing folks here of planning to plagarise your work...
Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
Patrick Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, sorry. I just don't want to be plagiarised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PHPab4d Forum Index -> alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: